• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

$3000 Build | Seeking Final Opinions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

The Eigengrau

Case | Silverstone Raven RV03-WA Black with Window | $199.00 @ Umart
Power Supply | Corsair HX-650 | $129.00 @ Umart
Motherboard | Intel DZ77SL50K ATX LGA1155 | $129.00 @ Umart
CPU | Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz | $245.00 @ Umart
CPU Cooler | Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | $39.00 @ Umart
Memory | Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 | $129.00 @ Umart
Video Card | Asus HD7970 DirectCU II | $561.00 @ Umart
Sound Card | Asus Xonar Essence STX | $187.00 @ Umart
Hard Drive | Intel 330 Series 120GB | $145.00 @ Umart
Optical Disk Drive | LiteON SATA DVD-RW 24X Black | $22.00 @ Umart
Monitor (x3) | LG 23" IPS1 Series LED LCD | $195.00 each, $585.00 total @ Umart
Cable | HDMI to DVI | $12.00 @ Umart
Gamepad | Logitech F710 | $44.00 @ Umart
Mouse | Logitech G400 | $35.00 @ Umart
Keyboard | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent | $139.00 [Postage=$12.00] @ PCCaseGear
Headphones | Shure SRH840 | $160.00 [Postage=$45.00] @ iibuy
Microphone | Blue Yeti | $229.00 [Postage=Free] @ Apple
| | Total: $3004.05 [Inc. Postage+GST]

What is this build for?

I'm fairly partial to PC Case Gear. I'd just make a build straight from them..

I'll wait for the answer to my first question before I suggest any other changes..

Though that Hyper 212 Evo won't take you all that far for Ivy Bridge.. Though if your goal is maybe 4.2ghz, probably doable. I'd pick an Asrock Extreme 4 Z77 board over that intel one. From PC Case Gear; you could grab a Sandisk 120GB SSD for 129.

Ew gamepad :p.

As for keyboard; I just got myself a Leopold FC700R from PCCG. If you don't really do any numbers work; I recommend it! In fact I actually just bought a cheap 19 dollar Logitech wireless numpad that I have on my desk til I need it.

The DAS keyboards are nice; but fingerprint magnets; and the keycaps aren't as nice as the new leopolds. Which are PBT caps.

Consider the Silverstone 750W Strider Plus from PC Case Gear. Gives you a bit more room for Xfire later on.

Head almost exploded after seeing 3000, might want to mention it's in Australian dollars. I assumed Canadian/American.

Anyways, + 1 on the motherboard and cooler advice. You could probably save some money on the RAM as well, most people who are just gaming dont even need the 8 gigs they have (like me). 2x4GB is dirt cheap and should overclock like stink (1600mhz sticks)

you should really shop around. you are buying almost everything at umart. i promise you you will find better prices on some of the components elsewhere. if youre wanting to toss 3k at a computer... get the best bang for your buck!

Head almost exploded after seeing 3000, might want to mention it's in Australian dollars. I assumed Canadian/American.

Anyways, + 1 on the motherboard and cooler advice. You could probably save some money on the RAM as well, most people who are just gaming dont even need the 8 gigs they have (like me). 2x4GB is dirt cheap and should overclock like stink (1600mhz sticks)

each aus dollar is worth like 1.05 usd

You are right madam. I guess I didn't notice all the peripherals being purchased as well.

Not according to Paypal :p. + our dollar I think is dropping again. Anything I try to buy on ebay is not 1:1. It's in favour of the US dollar again =(.

Umart and PC Case Gear are the two of the cheapest in Aus for parts. BUT PCCG (I believe) care more about their customers and will help you more if you need it. But I believe umart actually has like a store front. PCCG is online only.

I personally only buy from PCCG... Unless the price from ebay or another place is too good to pass up. But even then I'll sometimes spend the extra just for loyalty and good service.

1. Intel 330 SSDs are rather slow, look at the Mushkin Chronos or OCZ Agility for similarly priced drives, but higher performance.

2. You might want a more hefty cooler than the Hyper212 Evo for Ivy Bridge

3. NVIDIA's GTX6xx series beats the 7xxx series in price, power consumption, and performance. AMD lost this round. The GTX680 is a better card in every way. Better yet, the 670 costs significantly less and is usually only about 5% slower, maybe pick up a 670 now and add another one in the future.

Everything else looks fine to me :).

1. Intel 330 SSDs are rather slow, look at the Mushkin Chronos or OCZ Agility for similarly priced drives, but higher performance.

2. You might want a more hefty cooler than the Hyper212 Evo for Ivy Bridge

3. NVIDIA's GTX6xx series beats the 7xxx series in price, power consumption, and performance. AMD lost this round. The GTX680 is a better card in every way. Better yet, the 670 costs significantly less and is usually only about 5% slower, maybe pick up a 670 now and add another one in the future.

Everything else looks fine to me :).

He is Aussie like me. Mushkin doesn't really exist here. Crucial m4 is where its at. Lol. Notice he's running 3 screens. I believe the 3gb amd 7970 is the better choice here. The 670 wins at 1080p for sure. But overclock both and run high resolutions, or multiple gaming monitors, and you'll find the 7970 pulls ahead :).

Back