• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help me overclock my AMD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

asian

Registered
amd phenom ll 955 / amd fx-6100

amd phenom ll x4 955 / amd fx-6100
ga 970-ud3
4x2 ddr3 1600 hyper kingston
psu corsair cx500
coolermaster hyper 612 pwm

what are steps i need to do ? what core speed can i have after overclocking ?

thanks much !:-/:(

Last edited:
Hello Jajaer and welcome, I changed your thread to something more appropriate than a colon. :D

I would suggest checking out Dolk's very well written guide, as that will give you a basic knowledge of the processor. If you have questions afterwards, feel free to ask them here and we can help you out!

Welcome! AMD isn't really my thing, so while you wait for others that are more knowledgeable to reply, I will point you to the AMD overclocking guide linked in my signature. Its a good read full of background information and steps to take to overclock (should get you going on your own).

That said, I would imagine 3.8Ghz or so is easily in the cards.

What sort of CPU cooler do you have? the stock coolers are not much good so your not going to get much out of it as there not designed for overclocking and are frankly crap.

It should get it off your 3.2Ghz stock, but as i said, not much.

If your serious about overclocking you should consider getting an after market cooler, something like a CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO is pretty good and not expensive.

Please do read thideras's link carefully, if you have no experience overclocking it is very important information.

Once your confident to make a start, do so and keep us apprised of your progress, someone will be around to help you with it, there are some good guys around here who really know what there doing.

My immediate advice to you is download....

This http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

This http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

And this http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=103

As you will need them to monitor your temperatures and test for stability.

One last thing for now, whatever you do never let your CPU temp get to 70c, better yet try to keep it under 65c. And don't confuse CPU temp with Core temps, your Core temps are not good over 55c.....

You will see all this information in Dolk's Guide.

What cooler he has is a good question... He has the Corsair A50 listed for PSU (its a heatsink!), and also the CM Hyper 612. Either one though should get him to its average of 3.8Ghz ish.

What cooler he has is a good question... He has the Corsair A50 listed for PSU (its a heatsink!), and also the CM Hyper 612. Either one though should get him to its average of 3.8Ghz ish.

lol... missed that one, thanks :D

A Hyper 612S http://www.coolermaster.co.uk/product.php?category_id=3668&product_id=6723

Should get him more than 3.8Ghz, i can get 4Ghz with 6 cores on this pile of junk with a 92mm fan, 3 crappy 6mm heat pipes and a contact plate as rough at 1970's textured wall paper.

I bet most here didn't even know what this thing looks like, well now you do :p take a good look, that's what a junk CPU cooler looks like.

I'm getting this one when i give in to the devil on my shoulder... http://www.coolermaster.co.uk/product.php?category_id=3672&product_id=6775

Attachments

• vanquisher_frontBIG.jpg
    vanquisher_frontBIG.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 93
  • OCZTVANQ_Bottom.jpg
    OCZTVANQ_Bottom.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 103
4Ghz+ wasnt exactly common with that quad Phenom.. its not the cooling really, its the CPU itself. 3.8-4Ghz is the sweet spot. Anything over that is gravy (but you know that already).

^+1
Mine was doing no more than 3960MHz/1.425v/48°C fully stable with a Megahalems Rev.B, P/P, and 4125MHz/1.55v/42°C with a 360 WC loop (CPU only).

Could not get a single extra MHz out of it.

4Ghz+ wasnt exactly common with that quad Phenom.. its not the cooling really, its the CPU itself. 3.8-4Ghz is the sweet spot. Anything over that is gravy (but you know that already).

Actualy i didn't :) to me a K10 arch is a K10 arch, apparently not, and coming to think of it i do have a figment in my mind of something along those lines, so whats different about that particular one which makes it a bit, gravy. ?

@ RGone... no H50 is his PSU :D J/K

Lats guess, A50 http://www.corsair.com/en/air-series-a50.html

For PSU they have an AX series, but no 500. http://www.corsair.com/en/power-supply-units/ax-series-power-supply-units.html

My guess he thought about the A50 cooler but decided on the CM 612, and when filling in the PSU details he was supposed to put down some Corsair model but still had the A50 stuck in his mind, so that's what actually ended up in his post....

I have done exactly that on many occasions myself. :sn:

He needs to scrub his RAM memory, there is a conflict. something stuck in memory and refuses to budge :p

LoL , sorry it shold be cx500 psu and coolermaster hyper 612 pwm .I also got a corsair A50 heatsink .:-/

Hello Jajaer and welcome, I changed your thread to something more appropriate than a colon. :D

I would suggest checking out Dolk's very well written guide, as that will give you a basic knowledge of the processor. If you have questions afterwards, feel free to ask them here and we can help you out!

I followed those guides step by step but a series of two beeps happens after i save my CPU-NB settings .What does it mean ?

I followed those guides step by step but a series of two beeps happens after i save my CPU-NB settings .What does it mean ?

I take it it did not boot?

What did you set the CPU NB at? and what CPU NB volts did you set, if any?

I take it it did not boot?

What did you set the CPU NB at? and what CPU NB volts did you set, if any?

Set at 2200 with 1.2 v , i restart again but still those 2 beeps sounds ,mouse and keyboard are also down .

I replaced my phenom ll 955 with amd fx 6100 but still doesnt work and those 2 beeps has gone . Does my motherboard got crashed ?Because i put my Phenom 955 in Asrock 770icafe and it works ? I really need help .

Its Hard to be a newbie in Overclocking , i got a big problem while doing the steps of Dolks guide . 2 beeps sounds after saving my cpu-nb settings at 2200mhz - 1.2v .

Did you try resetting the BIOS by the onboard jumper (clear CMOS jumper)? You might try that and see if you can get it to boot and run stable. If so, then someone can help you get some OC out of the 955.

Set at 2200 with 1.2 v , i restart again but still those 2 beeps sounds ,mouse and keyboard are also down .

That's your South Bridge, are you over clocking by the multiplier or the external clock / FSB call it what you will....?

The (200Mhz) clock will also push your CPU NB and SB and RAM up, so for example if you set 240Mhz your CPU NB and SB will end up at around 2400Mhz or something like that, anything over 2200Mhz for the SB is to high and input devices such as USB's may fail.

So don't let it get over 2200Mhz.

Its better to use the CPU multiplier for overclocking, you should only use the External clock for fine tuning as it will also push your RAM up which will again cause instability if pushed to high.

Back