• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best way to transfer over 300GB of videos and 30GB of music.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Richierichdolla

I am wondering what is the best way to transfer my video and music collection to my new HDD on my pc from my laptop. I only have a 16GB flash drive for external transfers. Would going thru my Home network be the best way to do this instead of using a 16GB flash drive

wow never thought of that lol. Would windows 7 being installed on the laptop HDD effect how I would do this. I mean would I have to do any work arounds since I have windows 7 already installed on my ssd in my pc and using the HDD on my pc for media, or as long as my ssd is set as boot drive I am ok?

You probably won't be able to hot swap with SATA. However make sure the boot order is correct otherwise you just might boot off the laptop drive.

SATA is hot-swapable if it's in AHCI mode (IDE mode is made for computability with PATA drives, so it disables newer features like that).

But yeah, shouldn't be a problem, just make sure your computer boots off the right drive (usually mashing F12 brings up boot device menu at startup, same time you would normally mash delete for BIOS).

If you cant do that, you can always get a USB to sata and run the laptop HDD as a USB external drive. I've done it. Heck my 500g USB drive is a laptop 5400rpm sata drive. the adapter would prob run ya about $15

Crossover Ethernet cable works too. If they're both newer computers, might be able to use a regular one and have the ports auto-detect and switch pins (crossover cable switches the other of pins on one side and they'll show up as devices on each others computer).

Back