• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help if you can

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

texasboy

Hi folks, Bedtime for me 2.20am. If someone has any ideas I will catch in morning.
Made a change to heatsink (changed) had to remove mobo. ,and now have a continuous bleep when I start. All fans start normal at correct speed. Tried removing ram ,cleaning etc. Took Mobo out again to check. Checked power wires etc. Anyone have anything else I might check. What does continuous bleep stand for. Do I have a short,have I damaged anything? Power is ok ,and mobo lighting up etc Will not boot.

Thanks for any help.
cheers

Sounds like maybe thermal. Make sure you sat the cooler properly with the right amount of TIM. You can also try swapping out all the RAM with different sticks. Make sure the power supply is also putting out the right voltage with either a multi meter or psu tester. The last that I can think of is breadboarding it. Take the mobo completely out of the case and connect the psu, video card, mobo speaker,and a case fan and connect it all on a surface without potential static problems and try it then. That will also check to make sure it is not shorting out on the case somewhere. If that works, hook up a hdd or ssd and a monitor and see if it posts. If it does then go into the BIOS and check voltages and temps there. Good luck man.

Thanks Rainman33, Will start fresh again, will change heatsink back to original and work through. Did sound like a short to me, but too tired last night to continue.
Will advise if cannot sort out. Was basically just asking about steady beep in case it might point to one problem.
Many thanks

HELP once again folks.

Took mobo out again, checked for visible damage. Removed heatsink, good cover with AS so that wasnt problem. Redo paste/seating etc.
Remove mobo battery for 30 mins.
One thing I`m not up to date with is the LED lights on mobo and what they mean. Opposite middle of last ram stick I have 6 lights RR-YY-GG- and near bottom of ram I have Y-G-Y-G showing.
Still steady loud whine from mobo and I shut down immediatly.

Any thoughts please
cheers

Thanks jmh547. I had old video card 6800gs which I tried, No difference. The fact that it is a loud continuous noise ,would seem to point to a damaged cpu or mobo. But not having the expertise I`m uncertain. I do remember that a few of expert`s on forum can pinpoint some of the common problems by the colour of the LED`s. Being a pensioner, money is not so plentifull if I have to buy new cpu and mobo.
Perhaps someone can add to thread . ps. I`m using a 12 year old PC,slightly slow,thank goodness I kept this up to date.

Tks

Last edited:
Ok so that mobo doesn't have an on board video so it needs it to pass the p.o.s.t. Now it seems like I remember that I had an issue once simililar to this, again I'm trying to remember. Try taking out the video card and inspecting the contacts closely for any that may have been torn free of the board, then carefully with little pressure clean the contacts with a pencil erasor and wipe that off and then try it again. Not sure it will work but it does seem like its an issue with the video card.

Hi, Still no joy after cleaning, Video card is on normal fan speed/noise. Perhaps yourself or another member may see what I did wrong. If need more info, will be glad to help.
Tks

According to the manual that I could find for that mobo, a constant beep indicates a connection issue with the vid card. Beyond that I'm not sure if a second card also did the same thing, sorry I don't know what else to try.

thanks nightman, What I will do now is breadboard. I have another PSU to use. What should I leave attached? video card/ram. Do I have to worry about F-control wires ? I will hook up video/sound/power. Would there be anything else,beside insulating mobo from floor. I have never tried this before.
Will mobo switch on with just power,or what.

Tks for all your help

Hi everyone. In big trouble. Could I kindly request that an administrator have a quick look at threads in post. Do not want to electricute myself doing something stupid. There may be a simple solution,which may save me some money. Tks for any additional help.
texasboy:)

Did you try the stock cooler? Sometimes the board won't post because it doesn't recognize a fan is installed and running. For example a 2 wire fan on the mobo's CPU fan header doesn't send the fan speed back to the mobo. The mobo may think the fan isn't running and not let it boot. I think this can be disabled in most boards BIOS to allow a 2 wire fan to be used on the CPU header.

Last edited:
MAybe a short on the MoBo.

Dismantle everything and remount MoBo+Cpu+Ram+GPU+1HDD on cardboard.

I used to have that board, I got that solid steady beep once after cleaning. Some how I dislogged the PCIe power from the Modular PSU. May want to make sure your power connections are all connected good. It does sound like a vid/psu issue.

:)
Back again.
Have mobo out on floor (non conductive material under)
Used 2nd PSU. Hook up to mobo. Install video card,attach power connections to card. Ram still installed. Attach speaker,keyboard and mouse,monitor,cpu fan.
Switch on, jump power pins on mobo
Fan running, video card running, leds on mobo on. NO WHINE
NO PICTURE ON MONITOR
Seems very normal.
Now I have to figure out what is causing loud bleep/whine when it go`s back in case. PSU?? Will also check hd and cd in case the are shorting out.

Thoughts ?

Tks

Either a defect PSU cable to the GPU or a short at the back of the board with the case.

Back