• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gtx560oc BSOD on boot win7x64

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vertdang

I've got an Asus gtx 560 oc/dc2 card that bluescreens win7x64 every time the pc reboots any way other than through a normal shutdown/restart process. This occurs right after the load screen where the "welcome" should appear on the blue field, right before the login. If I ever have a windows update, or installation that requires a reboot, I have to boot to safe mode, remove the nvidia drivers, do the update, and then put the driver back on. This has been happening since january when I got the card.

The most stable driver at the moment seems to be nvidia's 275.33, I've tried all the release and most of the beta drivers that were listed since june of 2011.

If I leave the driver off, it works as a standard vga card, and works fine. But I can't play any games that way.
If I put my old 8800gtx back in the machine, I have no problems.
I've reinstalled win7x64 approximately 5 times trying to nail down where the problem was. Thinking it was a software confilct some where. On a barebones clean install, I still had the problem
I've even upgraded my power supply to a 750w running 64amps on a single rail.
I even tried all 3 ram sticks in different slots and as single sticks.
I'm wondering if it's just a bad factory overclock. so I tried both nvidia's ntune and msi's afterburner to lower the clocks, but since those load after windows starts, there's no effect.

This is driving me bonkers, :bang head do I contact nvidia for a replacement RMA? or does anyone have any ideas?

intel i7 920, not overclocked
msi x58 platinum sli mobo w/ updated firmware
6gigs ram
Asus gtx 560 oc/dc2 (not SLId, factory overclocks only, no overvoltage)

What power supply do you have? Exact make and model please.

I assume you've already tried the card in the other x16 slot? And what's the error in the BSOD?

Yeah, gives the error on both slots.
I took a picture of the error. It's here

I can do a minidump next time it happens, i've run Ccleaner since and deleted all the dumps.

What power supply do you have? Exact make and model please.

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE

Thanks guys, I appreciate your help here.

bluescreens win7x64 every time the pc reboots any way other than through a normal shutdown/restart process

... how many ways can your PC reboots besides the normal shutdown/restart process?
if you didn't shutdown/restart.. why is your PC rebooting?

can you be more specific?

Loss of power (brownout or blackout) will cause the issue. Same with installing programs that require a reboot, or most often, a windows update.

I'll try to stop any automatic reboot from software, and just go through the start menu, that seems to allow it to reboot normally. Windows update, even if I shut down normally, will typically require a driver removal and reboot as a generic vga adapter to work properly. Failing that, I have to boot into safe mode after the BSOD, remove the driver (having physx installed doesn't seem to matter, as I've tried w/ and w/o), and then complete the update, or rerun the update if it fails.

Yeah I thought of that too, via MSI's Afterburner as well as Nvidia's Ntune. But since both services start after bootup, they don't seem to help.

Does anyone know if it can be changed earlier? Aside from messing w/ the card bios?

Looks like I would turn the CPU core OC down, ATM.

I just noticed, you said CPU. The cpu isn't overclocked, the i7 920 is currently at stock clocks. 2.66ghz
As stated in my OP, the problem goes away if I use the 8800 vidcard, or if I don't load the nvidia drivers. So the CPU shouldn't be issue. At least, not that I can figure.

Back