• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Simultaneous Dual Band Router

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SeanBest

My Mom wants a new router for my Dad. Their router is dropping occasionally and rebooting itself. It's an older D-Link.

They have 1 desktop, 3 laptops, a PS3, 3 iPhones, an iPad 2, and 2 wireless HP printers. Their old router would also drop a lot if I visited and my wife or I connected our Android phones to their network.

So looking for a recommendation for a router that is near overkill. My Mom said whatever it costs order it and I'm to install it while their at Disney for their 25th wedding anniversary. I've read some good stuff about the high-end ASUS routers, but have never used one.

So recommend away please and thanks in advance!

I'm gonna pitch in my vote for the Buffalo WZR-HP-AG300H running the community DD-WRT build (details for flashing and build link are here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Buffalo_WZR-HP-AG300H).

I have it running at home with 3 laptops, Xbox 360, Wii, 3+ smartphones, and the laptops and smartphones of friends who come over.

I've never had to reboot it, and QOS works like a champ for simultaneous torrenting and YouTube browsing.

I'm gonna pitch in my vote for the Buffalo WZR-HP-AG300H running the community DD-WRT build (details for flashing and build link are here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Buffalo_WZR-HP-AG300H).

I have it running at home with 3 laptops, Xbox 360, Wii, 3+ smartphones, and the laptops and smartphones of friends who come over.

I've never had to reboot it, and QOS works like a champ for simultaneous torrenting and YouTube browsing.

I have the little brother to that model: WZR-HP-G300NH. It is nice to have the NAS and being able to use it for torrents directly on the router itself. If I had to room near my router. I would use it as a print hub.
If I want, there is an option to run Optware applications directly on the router also.

The only downsides to some Buffalo appliances. Is that some users report flaky wireless or needing to set up a cron to reboot every so often. otherwise. I agree it is a solid choice for a network appliance. Very powerful hardware and good bang for the buck.

I've had a lot of problems with Buffalo dropping wireless as Enablingwolf mentioned. Leaning towards the ASUS right now based on what I've been reading.

I just need it to be stable. My Dad is tired of rebooting their old router and my Mom is tired of listening to him ***** about it lol.

Back