• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need advice one new build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gstew

Registered
hi,
I'm about to start ordering parts for my first build,it's going to be for midi recording with sample libraries that use a lot of RAM(EWQL Hollywood strings for example). I was originally going to build a slave with 32 Gigs of Ram and an i7 2600k but now think I may just do a build that can take 64 Gigs of RAM
and skip the hassle of running two machines.
here's what I'm thinking of(I already own the graphics card and psu):
ASUS Sabertooth X79 LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel MotherboardIntel Core

i7-3820 Sandy Bridge-E 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 2011 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80619i73820

Thermaltake Overseer RX-I VN700M1W2N Black Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case

OCZ Vertex 3 VTX3-25SAT3-120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Corsair Force Series 3 CSSD-F240GB3A-BK 2.5" 240GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Corsair Force Series 3 CSSD-F240GB3A-BK 2.5" 240GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9S-8GBXL

graphics card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130749

PSU CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply

Seagate SV35.5 ST1000VX000 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit

I can;t afford an extra 32 g of ram off the bat so I'll start with 32 and go from there.
Has anyone done a build like this? Any advice?

thanks,
Grant

Yeah, you already have the PSU. But that's a $70 off combo, and the PSU is $80 with a $20 MIR. Frankly, it's worth it to just get the combo and sell the extra PSUs. They're really solid units as well.

Holy crap, between promo codes and combos...this is more than $250 off normal price. xD

Screen Shot 2012-06-21 at 10.20.15 PM.png
Screen Shot 2012-06-21 at 10.20.26 PM.png
Screen Shot 2012-06-21 at 10.20.32 PM.png

hi guys,
Thanks for the replies. I want to have the option for 64 G of RAM for recording in Cubase with sample libraries that take up a lot of memory so I'll start with 32 but eventually add in the other half later.
I'm a little nervous about the mobo,I've read about a lot of problems with it, is there another I should be considering? Don;t want to make an expensive mistake.
Knufire: I'll check out the combo deals,you're right,but I've had the PSU for over a year now so might be hard to unload plus Ive heard that it's better to have a little extra power.
thanks for your help!
G

I have the Asrock X79 Extreme 7 and have absolutely zero issues with it. Great board.

For $479 for that processor, might as well grab a 3930K for a little more and overclock it to a nice comfy 4.5ghz...

cool,Thanks for the help. Good to hear a success story with that mobo.
I think the price for the 3820 in Knufire's shopping list is a combo with 32G of RAM,on the newegg site it lists at $299,I;m at the limit of my budget and really shouldn't push it.

Also wanted to go with a full tower case,I have room at home and was thinking for my first build may be a good idea to have some extra space to work in,any opinions?

I'm getting ready to order the parts in the next couple of days.
My main concerns are the compatibility of the i7 3820 E Sandy bridge, ASRock x 79 extreme 6, and the RAM suggested by Knufire Patriot G2 Series Division 4 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666). If you guys think I'll be cool with this I'm gonna dive in.

thanks,
G

the HAF 932 full tower you can not go wrong with and great price, HAF X is a fancier modle, but the HAF 932 is a standard OC gamer case with great features for $140

hi,
Also looked at the RAM compatibility on the ASrock website and didnt see the Patriot Ram as a supported ram,the only 8G RAM it listed as supported was ridiculously expensive.
thnx
G

I can tell you for a fact that I tried a few 4gb Patriot 1333 sticks in my Asrock and it laughed at me. It wouldn't even consider booting with it in. Wouldn't do anything. Replaced them with 24gb of Gskills meant for X79 and been working great.

hi,
did you use 8 gig ram sticks? Which G skill did you use,this is what I'm worried about,screwing up and getting the wrong ram,I wanted to use 8 gig sticks so I could up it to 64 when able.
thanks again for the help!
G

hi guys,
Thanks for the replies. I want to have the option for 64 G of RAM for recording in Cubase with sample libraries that take up a lot of memory so I'll start with 32 but eventually add in the other half later.
I'm a little nervous about the mobo,I've read about a lot of problems with it, is there another I should be considering? Don;t want to make an expensive mistake.
Knufire: I'll check out the combo deals,you're right,but I've had the PSU for over a year now so might be hard to unload plus Ive heard that it's better to have a little extra power.
thanks for your help!
G

No, no, use your PSU, sell the brand new ones. Technically, if you fill out the mail-in rebate, you get them for -$10...you can sell them super cheap and make a bit of money... just a thought. :)

I'll vouch that I mostly picked that RAM for being in a combo deal, and that I'd consider G. SKILL to be a more reliable brand.

hi,
thanks guys.
Knufire,cool,now I see what you mean with the psu,ok,thnx.
Wingman,does that RAM advice apply for the i7 3820-E Sandy Bridge too? the link shows info for the 3930K.
If so,I;m gonna go with the Asrock X79 Extreme 6, i7 3820-E,G-skill Ares 32G Ram(get another 32G Later),the HAF 932 full tower and the rest of the stuff from my original post.
Any other thoughts ?warnings? wanted to put the order in this weekend.
Thanks again!!

thanks Wingman,

I think I'll order up tomorrow. I also just realized I need a fan/cooler. Should I get the H60? It looks fairly easy to install.

thnx
G

I'm not sure,for now no,I just want a solidity,it's also my first build so I want to play it safe.

Anything except the H80 and H100 aren't worth it, as they're outperformed by air heatsinks of the same price.

I'd still recommend against the HAF, overly big and loud for your needs.

hi Knufire,
what about this case:
Thermaltake Overseer RX-I VN700M1W2N Black Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case
I really want to have extra room for my first build.
and
Thermaltake Frio Overclocking-Ready Intel Core i7 (six-core ready) & i5 Compatible Five 8mm Heatpipes Dual 120mm Fans Intel ...
Model #:CLP0564http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106150.
thanks again for all the help.
G

Back