• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fastest 2GB SD Card [for Cameras that don't take SDHC cards]?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
There are some older quality cameras which take better pictures than many sub $2xx cameras available today. But old cams do not take SDHC cards - so they have a 2GB limit.

Obviously I do not need an SD Card for HD videos for old cams, but for faster transfer of data from SD card to computer.

Any speed comparison shootouts out there for old 2GB SD Cards? Which ones have the fastest transfer speeds?

there is a little number in a circle printed on them all these days 4-6 being average speed 10 being the fastest that i know of.
unfortunately the number also represents the MB speed of transfers.
i have a 32 GB (10) one that i use for my tablet for storing music and it seems slow as death for large music files. i think there working on a (12) now. as far as 2 GB cards im not really sure what the top speed is on those i think they stopped making them awile back and are just selling stock piles now so you might only be able to find them in like (6) speed.

i just looked around and have a hard time finding any under 8GB with speed ratings,your probly going to have to just look for one that says "Ultra Speed" i believe thats what they called the faster ones back then.

The speed rating that jazon1 mentioned is called the "class rating". Make sure to stick with well known brands so you know their claims are more likely to be valid.

I remembered a while ago when this came out, so I looked for it. Found it and decided to finally get it now that it came down in price.

No SD to USB adapter necessary:

SanDisk Ultra II SD Plus 2GB Card

Attachments

• SanDisk Ultra II SD Plus 2GB Card.jpg
    SanDisk Ultra II SD Plus 2GB Card.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 884
The speed rating that jazon1 mentioned is called the "class rating". Make sure to stick with well known brands so you know their claims are more likely to be valid.

I wanted to elaborate on this (even though it's been mentioned that the Speed Class rating is only for SDHC cards). Even though two cards may be Class 10, their max speeds may vary. When shooting burst pictures on an older DSLR, I can notice the difference in speeds between several different cards when the buffer fills up.

tl;dr: Class system can be useful for lower speeds, but may not accurately represent higher speed cards.

I remembered a while ago when this came out, so I looked for it. Found it and decided to finally get it now that it came down in price.

No SD to USB adapter necessary:

SanDisk Ultra II SD Plus 2GB Card
Niffy card, wonder why the design died off.

Back