• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fx-4100 Temperature

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ScubaDivingPoop

Recently Built a new and right away i noticed that my CPU temps are too high. It seems to Idle at 50C

MOBO - Asus M5A97Evo
CPU - FX-4100 (Stock Heatsink, No Air Conditioner, Room Temp 80-90F)
GPU - Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 1GB

http://s9.postimage.org/h2rz8qrq5/adsfa.png

That picture was taken after watching a 10 minute youtube video on fullscreen and its at 59C. Im using Artic Silver 5 thermal paste and according to their site it has a 200 hour breakin window before i can achieve lowest temps is that causing it or is my motherboard damaged?

Also why is there 2 different CPU temp readings, one is with the mother board and the other are each individual core, is there a difference?

Get CPUz and HWMonitor from CPUID com they have them both in 'free' versions. Get Prime95 and install.

Open HWMonitor on the desktop as you run Prime 95 Blend for about 20mins or until it may fail. THEN make the capture of HWMonitor as it has logged the mins/maxs of Temps and the volts. Then post up HWMonitor screen capture and post up CPUz captured showing the CPU/Memory/SPD tabs so we have a good idea of what is actually occuring.

Recently Built a new and right away i noticed that my CPU temps are too high. It seems to Idle at 50C

MOBO - Asus M5A97Evo
CPU - FX-4100 (Stock Heatsink, No Air Conditioner, Room Temp 80-90F)
GPU - Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 1GB

http://s9.postimage.org/h2rz8qrq5/adsfa.png

That picture was taken after watching a 10 minute youtube video on fullscreen and its at 59C. Im using Artic Silver 5 thermal paste and according to their site it has a 200 hour breakin window before i can achieve lowest temps is that causing it or is my motherboard damaged?

The high temps are not because your motherboard is damaged. They are probably linked to the poor cooling capacity of the stock cooler combined with your very high ambient (room) temps. You will only see about a 2-4c drop in temps once the Arctic Silver is fully cured. A contributing factor could be poor ventilation in your case. What kind of case are you using (make and model) and how many fans are in the case moving fresh air in and warmed air out? Try taking the case side off and check temps with the case open. Where do you live that it is so hot?

Have you looked at your temps while putting the system under heavy load? With temps at 59c after only watching an online video, I would be very concerned that your load temps are going to be dangerously high.

Also why is there 2 different CPU temp readings, one is with the mother board and the other are each individual core, is there a difference? Yes, there is a difference. Usually, we place more emphasis on what the core temp readings are but if there is evidence they are giving a falsely low reading we start looking at the CPU socket temp reading as the one to key off of. If the core temps are showing cooler than the CPU temp by more than about 10c then IMO the core temp reading is not reliable. Normally with the stock cooler the core temps are a few degrees warmer than the socket temps.

You desperately need a better CPU cooler and/or a case with better ventilation.

Case - Cool Master HAF 912 Series with a 700watt PSU
CPU - Stock Fan / Heatsink
Rear Fans - Case came with a 120mm Rear fan right next to CPU(Pulls air out)
Front Fan - Case came with one i think its 120mm or smaller (Pulls air in)
2 unused fan slots, one for top (200mm fan) and on for side near GPU (120mm)

Live in NYC and is around 80-90F
Computer in my room underneath my computer table
No Air Conditioner (Have a fan on myself also facing the computer and window is right next to where i set up.

Took the screen show of the temps a couple seconds after ended the Prime95 Stress Test(20minute stress test)
http://s15.postimage.org/ojad012dl/Stress_Test_Temps.png

Same case I have and it has fantastic ventilation potential but I would certainly encourage you to get some extra fans so that you have two in the front, two 120 in the top and one in the back and above all, get a better CPU cooler. The CoolerMaster Hyper212+ evo is a great bargain and very popular these days so it is available almost everywhere.

that actually looks ok to me, please expand the voltage section of hardware monitor.

look at the attachment in post 4.
i agree he needs more cooling, but he is nowhere near deaths door.
to have a 40c board temp he would have to be in a 3rd floor walkup in the bronx or the lower east side

should his jedec#4 be 9-9-9-25?

Last edited:
Yeah, you'r right CD, those temps are fine, especially considering his ambient high temps and the fact that he's using a stock cooler. His max CPU temp of 63c is getting close to borderline and it makes me think his core temp is actually being under reported since their is a 16c differential. I get suspicious when there's more than a 10c diff between the two.

when i get the pig put back together i'll check my screenshots but i think he's in the ballpark.

Back