• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newbie in need of help with thermal paste

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NEwbie242424

I am a complete newbie (when it comes to CPU upgrades/installations). Did some research on it and bought a board and chip. Now here is the problem: I know nothing about thermal pastes (the differences between the different kinds and all).

The other day, I saw a cheap bottle of arctic silver alumina premium ceramic and thought, "Why not?" I went ahead and bought it. Now the real problem is this: I have no idea if this is enough for a CPU with a TDP of 95-100W. Will this work?

First of all, what cooler will you be applying this to? Is it a stock cooler that came in the box with the CPU. Is it an aftermarket cooler with a flat plate on the bottom or an aftermarket with exposed copper heatpipes? The application method for the thermal paste can vary with the type of cooler base.

Have you Googled 'thermal pate application'? There are tons of informational videos.

Have you gone to the web page for Artic Silver and seen if they have any info?

....................................... space........................................................ Comon dude.

Its a cooler that I pulled from a working machine. It was formerly paired with a 95W TDP Pentium D, so I know it will work with the new chip I am using it with (which is also 95W).

I know how to apply it, but I don't know if my specific thermal paste works well with my kind of CPU.

By and large paste is paste. If it works well on any CPU it will work well on yours.

Please be sure that the arctic alumina is paste and not glue/epoxy. If it is paste you're all set, that stuff is what I use on everything.
If it's adhesive, don't use it if you ever want to remove the heatsink in the future.

Back