• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tips on further tuning of 965 BE - easy mode

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RoXQi3x

Following lots of good help in a previous case i finally installed my new NH-D14 on my 965 BE.
First I've tried increasing the multiplier and testing each stepping i 20 min p95 runs. 19,5x crashed, but 19x ran for 20hrs without issues.
I'm fairly inexperienced and have reached the limits of my knowledge.
Temps seem OK - what to try next? :)

Attachments

• 965be_19_D14_antecback_low_20hrs.PNG
    965be_19_D14_antecback_low_20hrs.PNG
    70.3 KB · Views: 129
You're off to a good start!
You have a bit of temperature room, so you might try a little bit higher vcore.
Alternatively if your board supports it (I think it does, the T version of that board does at least) you could turn to the CPU-NB (L3 cache, memory controller) and overclock it a bit.

Generally, to get to 4.0 ghz on those lower end Denebs you will need 1.5+ vcore but start with Bobnova's suggestion for increasing the CPUNB voltage. Somewhere betwee 1.225-1.3 should be the ticket for that. It seems, however, you core temps are higher than they ought to be with that Noctua D14. I still have a suspicion that your case ventilation is indadequate.

Well, I tried vcore first. Set 1,4750 in BIOS but that ended up slightly higher.
So, 19,5x for 20minutes. What now, keep trying with the current vcore or back up and do CPUNB? This is from a 20min session.

Yes, my case is no chiller ;)

Attachments

• 965be_19.5_1.4750v(1.507)_D14_antecback_low.PNG
    965be_19.5_1.4750v(1.507)_D14_antecback_low.PNG
    72.2 KB · Views: 127
Well, you core temps are okay at 55c and your vcore is up to 1.53 under load which is safe. One interesting thing is that your CPU socket temp (either TMPIN0 or TMPIN1) is running slightly cooler than your core temps. That is unusual with a good aftermarket cooler. Usually the socket temps run about 10c higher. I'm thinking that you may have more temp room than your core temps suggest to add more vcore if you want.Maybe your core temps sensor is calibrated a little on the cool side.

And yes, regardless, you want to add some CPUNB voltage as that always helps with stability when you are towards the high end of an overclock. Try it at 1.25 and see if that helps.

OCZ Gold XTC DDR2 PC6400 KIT 2x4GB = Would be nice to have an actual part number for that ram. The way you have that description written it looks as if you have 8gigs total ram in the system but your CPUz "memory tab" screen shot depicts only 4 gigs of ram total. WITHOUT a part number of the ram itself, it is difficult to determine what the 'spec' ram voltage should be. You certainly need to set the ram voltage to what the ram maker calls for.

I am like 'trents' in that normally a very good cpu cooler drops the core temps BELOW the cpu temp as viewed in HWMonitor. We do not see such in your situation. Don't really see such a situation as your HWMonitor is showing or at least, I don't remember seeing such situation as you seem to have. That may not be good or bad, but simply odd.

What now, keep trying with the current vcore or back up and do CPUNB? >>>> Vcore and adding CPU/NB voltage are not a one or the other but two voltages that should be 'together'. I have seen 'trents' helping users many many times and he usually suggests at the outset to raise the CPU/NB voltage to 1.225 or 1.250 at the beginning of the helping sesssions and therefore the CPU/NB voltage is increased from stock by a little thru the entire process of looking for a stable overclock. That is a reality. By the way on an older DDR2 motherboard, I have no issue with a CPU/NB voltage of up to 1.3volts. I would not think to go beyond that actually, but would not hesitate to try that much CPU/NB voltage if I saw it was helping my stability.

Knowing human nature and that nature's tendency to set 'expected' levels of performance, I had almost rather run 3.8Ghz than 3.9Ghz. OR I want 4.0Ghz. Those are just numbers that are seen thrown about in forums all the time.

So knowing about the "HN" factor, I would make sure that the ram was set to the manufacturer's spec voltage. WE could have seen that if you had captured the CPUz, SPD tab as 'trents' usually asks for and posted same to your attached screen shots.

Then with ram set to spec voltage, I would increase CPU Frequency to 205 which would give a cpu frequency of 3.9975Mhz or skimming the very edge of 4.0Ghz and I have seen many call that 4.0Ghz. Doing this with the multiplier left at 19.5 and the Vcore left alone, might ease you up to that "magical", "HN" speed of 4.0Ghz and still remain stable. Of course 206 FSB/CPU Frequency, will get you slightly beyond 4.0Ghz.

Raising the FSB/CPU Frequency (205) will also raise the ram speed to 410 speed as viewed in CPUz which is DDR820 and 'should' be doable for your ram with the correct spec voltage applied. Even FSB/CPU Frequency of 206 should keep the ram in a doable range of DDR824.

Those are just the things I would do from 'rote' memory as I approached the likely Max speed of that type cpu on an older 790 chipset type motherboard. Of course it might not work. It would be just one of those things and if it failed to boot...I would just clear the CmOs and then reboot and go back and REset all my bios settings to my 3.9Ghz setting or less even, and onward to computing which is what we build these silly things for anyway.

For me, no AMD system is considered stable until it passes 8 hours of P95 Blend mode. THAT is ME. I have seen the length of time that a system must run stressed to be considered stable, become less and less as time has gone on. Everywhere I have turned in society, the requirements for excellence are being loosened. So be it, I suppose. Test P95 in blend mode for a minimum of 2 hours with attention to Temps that are logged during the running of P95 Blend and if they remain just about where they are now...well you might have that "HN" level of 4.0Ghz.

Luck man.

Last edited:
Hope I offended no one in trying 20x without touching CPUNB - did at least do 45 mins. Temps look better, I suppose cooler ambient temp (raining outside) helps this.
Sorry about typing memory wrong, also included the spd in the shot now.
Rgone is so right about the HN - at 4,0 I'm OK at staying here ;)
Will take advice on CPUNB as so far I really understand multiplier, vcore and temps ;)

TMPIN below core, yes, it is strange. I suggest the bigness of the D14, even with fans, somehow disrupted the case flow I had with my front fan and much smaller CPU fan, could that be plausible??
Or, may I have botched application of paste (MX-4), would that explain it?

Attachments

• 965be_20_1.4750v(1.507)_D14_antecback_low_45mins.PNG
    965be_20_1.4750v(1.507)_D14_antecback_low_45mins.PNG
    81.9 KB · Views: 117
Hope I offended no one in trying 20x without touching CPUNB [No Problem] - did at least do 45 mins. Temps look better, I suppose cooler ambient temp (raining outside) helps this. [Probably helps cooling]
Sorry about typing memory wrong, also included the spd in the shot now. [Need to make sure you have Dram voltage set right in bios.]
Rgone is so right about the HN - at 4,0 I'm OK at staying here. [Not a bad idea with the Vcore being where it is now.]
Will take advice on CPUNB as so far I really understand multiplier, vcore and temps

TMPIN below core, yes, it is strange. I suggest the bigness of the D14, even with fans, somehow disrupted the case flow I had with my front fan and much smaller CPU fan, could that be plausible??
Or, may I have botched application of paste (MX-4), would that explain it?
[If there is an airflow disruption, then it was to the good. The CPU Core Temps seem about spot on. It is the CPU temp that seems low. That might be because of greater airflow to the cpu socket. I doubt the HeatSink compound is poorly installed as the CPU Core Temps seem okay. Oh, it never hurts to check the compound installation, but I doubt it is badly done.]

You need to run longer Prime95 blend tests now to confirm stability, at least 2 hrs.

Absolutely, and my last setup didn't last through the night without rebooting. Also dabbled a little with CPUNB without the success I want.
I think I need some more newbie info to continue tuning.

-CPUNB, I find it i BIOS but where/how do I read it in Hardware Monitor?
-"DRAM settings set right" - what is right? :)

I've also decided to run tests with as "normal" room temperature settings after noticing how much the PC's temps is affected when I test while doing an "airing" when I come home after work. I'm interested in settings thaw will work through the year :)

From your siganture >> Phenom II X4 965 BE (Deneb) OC@ 4,0Ghz << Is that for real? You have got 4.0Ghz stable running P95 Blend mode for at least 2 hours? If so then job done and on to using the computer for computering and congrats man.

CPUNB voltage is not found in HWMonitor. You can find it in AMDOverdrive if you can figure out which is the CPUNB vs. the chipset NB because that program uses "NB" for both.

Holy temperature, Batman!

I need to clarify; while I have passed 20 min blends numerous times, my stay at 4.0 is still somewhat unclear. Right now I did 6,5hrs of BIOS 1,4875/HWM max 1,55 before reboot. While probably the longest stretch so far, core temps of 57 worried me already after 30 mins (image) but they weren't higher 2hrs later.

-What do you guys think of the current temps?

-Still unsure if my RAM settings are correct :p

-As for CPUNB, I tried AMD Overdrive and it looks like"NB Voltage" is the currrent naming, right? (Image) : 1,300 it says. Auto in BIOS. Don't want to go higher, do I?

I do wonder, though, when is enough? :) Can't really see myself doing gaming sessions over 6hrs, and even then not really maxing all cores, will I?

Attachments

• 965be_20_1.4875v(1.55)_D14_antecback_low_30min.PNG
    965be_20_1.4875v(1.55)_D14_antecback_low_30min.PNG
    80.3 KB · Views: 97
  • nb.PNG
    nb.PNG
    6.6 KB · Views: 98
Give it a whirl around the block for a week or so, in the manner you will use it daily and see how it all goes. IF there are oddities...well then you will have to slow the clock and thus volts and temps and/or look at other routes to go. Luck man.

Ram settings look good.
Temps are ok as long as A) it's stable, and B) your ambient doesn't get higher.
If your room is at 20c right now and in a couple months is 25c, you'll be at 62c on the CPU cores.

If you're running your CPU_NB at stock clocks and DDR2 (you are, right now at least) you might be able to pull some volts out of it and lower your temps without touching vcore or core speed.

Hi RoXQi3x! I have a similar setup to yours. My cpu is @ 4.014, 12 hours with P95, voltage at 1.456. Fsb at 223, HT Link multiplier at 9, NB multiplier at 10. See attached report.

Attachments

• POOGS-PC.txt
    72.8 KB · Views: 174
I wouldn't worry about 57, you still have some room. Once you hit 60, start to pull back a bit on the overclock.

Hmm hard to skim through threads quickly but if that 965 was bought new lately and on the top of the CPU reads "12xx PGT" then just set 4 GHz and 1.45v, make sure it passes P95 and forget, all the new chips are very decent.

It should be illegal to sell DDR2-800 CL6...that is like selling DDR3-1600 CL11.

Some Phenom II don't like to be much over 50-55c.

Last edited:
Back