• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED i5 750 Overheating in BIOS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PerOxill

Hey everyone, I am totally new to overclocking but I understand the basic concepts. This in mind, I was doing some research into overclocking my PC because I need the extra CPU speed to do a streaming project for an upcoming MMO. Being a noob I straight googled "i5 750 overclocking guide" and followed the first link. The said link claimed that all I had to do was change my Bclock to 200 and RAM speed to 1600 and I am done......NOPE.

I tried to revert to default and wasn't able to boot, but it wasn't a BSOD. Appariently my CPU was overheating, understandable for going balls to the wall on my first try. That's what I get for being a tryhard. Anyways, I made it back after waiting a while and then re-booting. When I came back to my BIOS settings after switching back to default, I took a quick peek at my CPU temp and it was a scalding 80.0, and rising. I immediately shut down (safely) and waited a long time to see if it was just residual heat from the past boot up. I checked again and it was still around 80.0 degrees and rising with defaults. I continued to the OS to check what my idle temp was and I got around 50.0 degrees after booting.

Something is wrong with this kind of overheat, I am fairly new to this and I can already tell. Is it my cooling? bad airflow in case? am I just stupid? really any suggestions would be of great help here.

TL:DR I am a noob & CPU is at 80 degrees in BIOS / 50 degrees idle in OS

Setup: I did replace RAM with a new set, still DDR3 though

Thanks.
P.S. I will follow THIS sites instructions when I attempt to overclock.

Under the Ai Tweaker tab, what's shown as the Current CPU Core Voltage, and is the CPU Voltage Mode set to Manual or Offset?

CPU Voltage Mode is in Offset, which should be the default settings.

After asking a few RL friends for help a few of them suggested I add some more intake fans to my case to help with cooling. Right now I only really have the two beefy mothers on the back of my case which pretty much asking to be filled with dust. No intake on the front to supply clean air, and I have lots of room. When I built this computer had no idea what I was doing, but I want to clean it up and I know I can do it with the existing hardware. Anyways, what do you guys think?

Setup:

The Default voltage setting is Offset. When I change to manual mode for CPU it does not change to a number value, it still says auto and waits for the user to input a voltage. That being said I cannot actually get a VCore number that is a default for manual. That being said, in the Hardware Monitor tab, It does give a Current Voltage of 1.12V. That's the best I can do at the moment.

Last edited:
Update

Added 3 intake fans to my case, updated BIOS, cleared dust and air passages. Seeing an overall drop in temperature, which is good. However, the BIOS temperature anomaly is still there; when I loaded up it was about 75c and was still climbing. After booting to OS I get to the mid 90's, and then it stabilizes at around 50-55c. When I stress it with a graphics intensive video game I get to mid 80's to low 90's again.

Overall it is an improvement, but I am still running hot even for default settings. I am going to try and re-seat my HSF with some new thermal compound and see what it does. This should fix my cooling issue so that we can really get to whats really wrong here.

Side question purely out of curiosity, I have no experience with Intel Turbo before, but why do all of the guides that I look at suggest you turn it off? Does the throttling mess with your stability?

Last edited:
Back