• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Doubts about a new computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Herz

Registered
Hey guys,

Between MSI Geforce PCI-E GTX560 TI TwinFrozrII OC 2GB GDDR5 and Asus ATI Radeon PCI-E HD7850 DC2 2Gb GDDR5 what do you think it's best? For gaming and video encoding mainly (Adobe After Effects/Sony Vegas). I plan on buying a new PC next month or in August and i'm already deciding some components.

Do you think there's a big difference - or any difference at all - between 8GB DDR3 Kingston CL10 PC3-12800 (1600) HyperX Blu and Pack 2x 4GB (8GB) DDR3 Corsair CL9 Vengeance Red PC3-14900 (1866)? (same price where i'm going to buy them).

Complete build:
Asus Skt1155 - Maximus IV GENE-Z/GEN3 iZ68 - Motherboard
MS-Tech CA-0300 Hornet NG - Case
Intel Core Quad I7 3770 3.40ghz skt1155 8MB - CPU
RAM and GPU - still deciding :D
Western Digital SATAIII 1,5TB 64Mb Green 6Gb/s - Hardrive
Halfmman Silence 750W 140mm Red Storm - PSU (I also have some doubts regarding this product, idk if it's good/reliable. The price is pretty awesome)
Asus TFT 21.5'' VH228D LED Wide (5ms) - Monitor
Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO - Cooler

Memory over 1600 you wold not see a difference, bench marks yea, but maybe 1fps in games, save yourself some money stay with 1600.
If your going with a i7 3770k, you should go z77 imo, pcie-3.0, more usb 3 ports and intel HD4000 video in conjunction with your video card. I'd recommend ASrock z77 Extreem4 killer board and it's a good price.

on psu, if the price is awesome, it's probably the psu not being awesome. I'd stick with a good brand, corsair, seasonic, ocz.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=Z77 Extreme4 this one?

Regarding the PSU, i've chosen one with 750w in case I decide to overclock or SLI in the future. I probably won't tho so maybe i'll back off to something around 500-600w if that is enough for my PC (i have no idea if that's a good or bad decision tho).

That is the one he is talking about. As for the PSU, it largely depends on what you really are planning for in the future (+1 to his brand suggestions). I am not sure what the 7850 or the 560ti draw in terms of wattage. I will have to look that up. If you are unsure of a specific PSU, go see if there is a review on this site (though you will be pretty good with any of the brands mentioned above).

Edit: I just wanted to point out that I am using this board right now and am loving it. Haven't tested how good it is for overclocking yet but I think that will be my project today.

Yp thats the board, i love it, amazing features at a great price. ASRock really has improved 1000% over the last 2 years with quality and price.

If your not gona SLI/xfir then I'd go with a 600w corsair. it'll be all you would need, if you can aford it, get a GTX570 or maybe even a GTX660 they should be out real soon as well.

Corsair CX series is almost the same PSU as GS without an LED fan. Depending on the GPU (but more likely than not) 500W is probably sufficient.

Yes that would be good, that would give you head room for added dives, etc, I would not SLI/crossfire with a 600w, but I always like to leave some PSU power if I upgrade vid card, add some drives, charge phone, ipad at same time etc..

Corsair CX/GS are practicly the same except for the LED fan. Great PSU's.

Great, I've added it to my list :D gonna buy it as soon as I can. Thank you :).

Yo guys, some new doubts. I've been checking quite a few RAM brands and G.skill seems pretty awesome. I intented to buy 8GB DDR3 Kingston CL10 PC3-12800 (1600) HyperX Blu but now I'm looking at 2x 4GB (8GB) DDR3 GSkill PC3-12800 (1600) CL9 Ares or 2x 4GB (8GB) DDR3 GSkill PC3-14900 (1866) CL9 Sniper.

Price is pretty much the same, I confess I'm an hardware newb so I can't decide for myself which ones are better (overall performance, reliability, overclocking...). Can you help me out :D?

I have four sticks of this RAM.

Been running at the listed speeds for a year and 2 months now.
DDR3 1600 CL9. Buying 8GB is $60, (4GB @ $30 times 2)
Could probably find a 4x2GB kit of the same RAM for cheaper.
Or a 2x4GB kit would work too (like this) and is only $47.

yea 8GB of those are 10€ (I'm from europe yea ;)) cheaper than Kingston and they seem better. Alright i'll probably get 2x 4GB (8GB) DDR3 GSkill PC3-12800 (1600) CL9 RipJaws X :)

Hey guys, sorry for digging this up.

Do you think it would be more beneficial to buy an i5 3570k instead of the i7 3770k and use the (cash) difference to buy an hd7950 instead of the hd7850?

I can also buy a SSD instead of replacing my current HDD (it's a Sata II WD 500GB Blue 16mb buffer size 7200rpm - WD5000AAKS). I would store the OS and a few games on the new SSD (http://www.corsair.com/en/ssd/force...gb-a-sata-3-6gbps-solid-state-hard-drive.html) the rest of the less played games and applications would go into the 500gb hdd. Is this a good decision?

Hey guys, sorry for digging this up.

Do you think it would be more beneficial to buy an i5 3570k instead of the i7 3770k and use the (cash) difference to buy an hd7950 instead of the hd7850?

I can also buy a SSD instead of replacing my current HDD (it's a Sata II WD 500GB Blue 16mb buffer size 7200rpm - WD5000AAKS). I would store the OS and a few games on the new SSD (http://www.corsair.com/en/ssd/force...gb-a-sata-3-6gbps-solid-state-hard-drive.html) the rest of the less played games and applications would go into the 500gb hdd. Is this a good decision?

That is a great idea.

And the SSD/HDD setup is what I do, except I use a 250GB HDD for programs and a 1.5TB for media storage.

Back