• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project: Storm Trooper Wraith

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bluezero5

Winner, Rig-o'-the-Quarter, Fourth Quarter 2012
I finally completely my rig with customizable Boot Bios: (selecting which setting, which GPU to use.. etc) Let me know what you guys think:

here's my desktop
picture.php

and this is my boot bios:
Will describe it a bit more soon:
picture.php

Firstly, under the hood:
back active cooling is required with this VRM load.
picture.php

some moderate anti-noise work also done:
picture.php

picture.php

His name is Wraith, he's my main lab partner, crunching data about quantum physics, at times, terrabytes worth of data. That's why I need it fast.. 1 year ago, 1 analysis can take 20 hours of data crunching, now this rig here does it in 20 mins, sometimes less ! :)

picture.php

picture.php

System Idle:
picture.php

System 50% - 85%
picture.php

picture.php

System 85% - 100%: (usually benching only cause these fans to light red.)
picture.php

top 3 bays changed into wind tunnel:
Using Ultra Kaze 3000 RPM, and I like my flow indicator visible too.
picture.php

same tunnel under normal light with front grill removed.
picture.php

Here are the components under normal view.
You will see a little black box, that's where I added my instructions for my Fans to change color, and also tells my Mobo which PCI-e lane to turn off and on.
picture.php

Top and bottom are GTX 680 in SLI, middle is HD7970, I remove the power cables for the H7970 for a better view here:
picture.php

and of course, you NEED a manual switch in case my boot bios fails.
picture.php

Hope you like it!

Last edited:
Powerful rig there BZero.. nice! Id say clean up the wiring and such but with all thats going on, you dont have much of a choice. :(

Great build and great job on the bios boot editing!

Powerful rig there BZero.. nice! Id say clean up the wiring and such but with all thats going on, you dont have much of a choice. :(

Great build and great job on the bios boot editing!

Thanks. The BIOS pre-boot is just 1 page worth of code, was much easier to produce than I thought. and thanks for R4E's PCI-e switch box, it wasn't too difficult to turn on and off the lanes. :)

You might find it pathetic, but what took me the longest.. was making my fans change color according to computer load. lol. But I INSISTED on making it happen.. haha, ugly hack, but it works, and I am SOoooooo HAPPY. :)

and totally about the cables.. right now I am made a cover for the cable area I got there. almost done. :) Just painting my logo on it, and I am NOT gifted with paint jobs.. :(

Last edited:
..............................................................................................

I. am absolutely inferior, and do not earn your respect.

I shall now proceed to hate my rig nao :(

That is awesome. Great job blue!

I giggled for your 4th boot mode "slow mode" Like 4.8/2133 is slow hah :)

hahaha, yeah, back then I was giggling through when I programmed it too.
I have actually since added another mode besides my 'slow mode' called 'slower mode' as #5, at 4.5Ghz and 2133Mhz Ram at loosen timings.

One of the hardest thing, is tuning the memory timings for each setting.. sometimes have to loosen teritary timing to get tighter secondaries, some times vice-versa, all in the name of getting stable mem setting for each. :)

You see that book on my desk?
I have like 20 pages of mem setting there, All you will see through out will be CAS / RAS delay / WWDD / WWDR etc timings... took me 3 days to get them all right.. (and I still feel it can be better....sigh) :bang head

Heh, and here I thought that was from an older platform (X58) as there is a 'slow mode' that tends to allow for higher bclk. :p

nice rig matey! Sad that your tubing ( which is masterkleer uv blue i think you said?) is clouding up as well. Mine is getting worse. I'm going to clean off the plasticiser when i add my GPU into the loop ;).

Also with you GPU's what do you mean by select 1 /2? Are you running 680's in SLI then switch it out for a 7970? What would you need the 7970 for that 680s in sli wouldnt be able to do? ( i can see the 7970 sitting in there just without the rig without the PCIE connectors plugged in :p)

Um. Um. Um. Epic win.

It took me forever to figure out where all the WC lines went o_O

Edit: Is that the ModRight 4mm sticky foam?

Last edited by a moderator:
nice rig matey! Sad that your tubing ( which is masterkleer uv blue i think you said?) is clouding up as well. Mine is getting worse. I'm going to clean off the plasticiser when i add my GPU into the loop ;).

Also with you GPU's what do you mean by select 1 /2? Are you running 680's in SLI then switch it out for a 7970? What would you need the 7970 for that 680s in sli wouldnt be able to do? ( i can see the 7970 sitting in there just without the rig without the PCIE connectors plugged in :p)

certain crunchers are better on amd cards, which is what i presume he has it for. Also theres no cables in it just for the picture, it says that beside one.

:thup:

certain crunchers are better on amd cards, which is what i presume he has it for. Also theres no cables in it just for the picture, it says that beside one.

:thup:

yer i saw that, but surely you cant really have the 7970 plugged in while the 670's are in? Would SLI 680's really get trumped by a single 7970 in certain crunches?

yer i saw that, but surely you cant really have the 7970 plugged in while the 670's are in? Would SLI 680's really get trumped by a single 7970 in certain crunches?

He's able to do this because he is actually cutting the PCIe lane with the 7970 off while the SLI setup is running and cutting the SLI PCIe lanes off while the 7970 is running.

Its his little black box of magic doing it.

ah thats pretty clever i have to admit ;) i should have actually read his posts. I just looked at the pretty pics and didnt bother with the words :p

ah thats pretty clever i have to admit ;) i should have actually read his posts. I just looked at the pretty pics and didnt bother with the words :p

The same black box also controls the fan colors based on system load.

Between his box and epic WC, this guy is more than clever lol.

Back