• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX 8120 overclocking quest wid CM Hyper212Evo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mak1290

Registered
I am in india n giong to buy FX8120 with Asus M5A97-Pro.I have already owned Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO cooler..
If AMD FX 8120 is comfortable for all type of gaming and works..And if it can be overclocked to 4ghz with cooler master hyper 212evo..??If it cant then how much it can be overclocked with cm hyper 212 evo to run it at high loads??:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Ok mjw21a.
And how i can set the board Asus M5A97-Pro to automatically overclock 8120 to hit 4ghz wid no worries?? = There are always concerns and considerations. However the design of the FX-8120 you are asking about is designed by itself to clock up to 4.0Ghz if the load on the cpu is registered in a certain way. More about that below.

And If AMD FX 8120 is comfortable for all type of heavy gaming and multitasking works??as i dnt have budget to buy intel 2500K,so going for FX8120.. = I might even drop back to a less power consuming FX-6100. We have had a few people come to the forum from India lately and the temps in the room where their computer is used, is very high when compared to other places people might live. A 'hot' room for the computer, means that it will be hard to keep things inside a computer case really cool overall since the air outside the computer case is already 'hot'.

FX-8120 AMD designed speeds with inbuilt Turbo Core Control.
Base CPU Frequency = 3100 MHz
Turbo Core frequency = 3400 MHz (8 cores)
Turbo Core frequency Max = 4000 MHz (4 cores)

In situations where you’re running an application that doesn’t tax the processor’s resources, Turbo Core dithers between the processor’s base frequency and a higher clock rate, jumping between them to average better overall performance at the defined TDP.

When you look closely at the specs for an FX processor and see CPU Base, CPU Turbo Core, And CPU Max. Turbo, you are guaranteed to always get at least that base cpu frequency to do work. You’ll see the Turbo Core clock rate so long as TDP is in check (as it would be in a well-threaded workload that doesn’t exceed the processor’s TDP ceiling). And IF half of the chip’s cores are idle (not doing work), it’s possible to realize maximum Turbo Core speeds.

Now that is how AMD designed the newer FX-series of processors to work. When the processors are used as designed they are THEN power efficient and the CPU temperatures do not rise so dramatically as many find when they "use" the words, I want to overclock my FX-series processor.

I don't know if you have come to grips with what is written above or not. If you have then here is what you are advised to do normally when you say you want to overclock your CPU.

1. You are advised to disable all the green control items so that the cpu cannot throttle down when not loaded. This is pretty power consumptive. The system is forced to run at a hotter, high rate of speed all the time.

2. After turning off all the power/electricity saving modes then most of the time you would raise the speed of the cpu beyond its designed speed and this means you add more voltage to the processor circuit to alllow for faster than normal cpu speeds. This adds more heat.

3. I have seen you now asking questions in your own thread and also in someone else's thread. Your main question seems to be can a CM 212 EVO cpu cooler keep the temps low enough to run with stability, when the FX-8120 is running 4.0Ghz all the time. THE TRUTHFUL answer is >> maybe or most likely, but it will depend on how h0t it is in the room where the computer case and parts inside have to function. It will also depend on the size and design of the computer case. Many cheaper, mid-tower cases have a tendency to have limited airflow, which can limit air reaching any cpu cooler and lower the cooler's effectiveness.

So there are a MANY things to consider and get correct to take an 8 core FX-8120 and hold it outside its' design limits all the time by overclocking, in a country where many have had to deal with very hot temperatures on a daily basis. I would suggest you tell us exactly by the items model and part number what you expect to use to make up your complete system; such as, case, power supply, motherboard, ram, cpu cooler, video card and anything else that will go inside the computer case. How 'hot' is the normal day to day temperature in the room where the computer will be located? Then what are the applications you intend to use daily on the computer?

So the short quick, not fully qualified answer to can "you" run an FX-8120 at 4.0Ghz using a CM 212 EVO for cpu cooling and the truthful answer is likely you can. However there are variables that might make that short answer yes but on the borderline of too hot all the time.

Let me say one more thing and I believe it to be a thoughtful idea by AMD, they have designed the FX-series of processors for places that are hot and power consumption is a day to day concern. The FX processors can go fast by their internal design and yet save power when not really doing any work. Not sure in certain global locations it is wise to setup the processor to defeat AMD's design for fast speeds and when doing nothing to save power. You and your own global conditions, will have to determine by 'room temp' and electrical cost/availability, what you really want to do. Good luck and good fortune to you sir.

RGone,Thanks for ur reply and suggestions & answers.As u told in ur thread,cpu temp depeds on ur room temp and other hardwares,so let me tell u this too what other hardwares i am going to use with FX8120.Before my room temp will be around 20 to 25 degree in which i use my p.c..
Motherboard- Asus M5A97-Pro
CPU- AMD FX 8120
Cabinet- Cooler Master Elite 430 with 6 120mm fans.
CPU Cooler- CM Hyper 212 Evo
Ram- G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 1600mhz 8GB (2 x 4 GB)(F3-12800CL9S-4GBXL)
HDD- WD Caviar Blue 1TB 32mb cache,7200rpm
SMPS- Corsair TX650 V2
GPU- Sapphire Radeon HD 5670 1GB DDR5

Your case dimensions = Dimension (W / H / D)
190 x 424 x 490 mm / 7.5 x 16.7 x 19.3 inch = That width is very very close to not being wide enough for a CM 212 EVO. I think the EVO is slightly shorter than the CM 212 regular or plus versions, so it may well fit. I don't think there are any protrusions into the case on the side, so it may well be a close but fit.

You might g00gle that case and the CM 212 EVO for fitting. Just to be on the safe side. I am getting your setup confused with another that is oh so similar, so do the g00gle thing.

Later man.

Put this stuff in a signature.

Motherboard- Asus M5A97-Pro
CPU- AMD FX 8120
Cabinet- Cooler Master Elite 430 with 6 120mm fans.
CPU Cooler- CM Hyper 212 Evo
Ram- G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 1600mhz 8GB (2 x 4 GB)(F3-12800CL9S-4GBXL)
HDD- WD Caviar Blue 1TB 32mb cache,7200rpm
SMPS- Corsair TX650 V2
GPU- Sapphire Radeon HD 5670 1GB DDR5

LINKY >>

New Shortcut method for putting a Signature with your system information following your every post so people can know what is in the case that they are trying to assist with. Thank you.

RGone,thanks,i have put my signature.
I am going to recive my kit Motherboard- Asus M5A97-Pro
CPU- AMD FX 8120 by tomorrow.There was stock problem with the seller frm m purchasing.Atleast i want that i can run fx8120 permanently at 4ghz with CM Hyper 212 evo.I hope i'll..I'll ask here if got any problem..

Hey,i've seen a post bu Clodheaven..Its this..

Now i'm running 8120 at stock (3.1 ghz), I've disabled the TurboBoost feature
in the BIOS that caused me the overheat at the cpu, and I changed the
cooler for one better suited to my fx8120, an Arctic Cooling Freezer 13,
previously I was on Arctic Cooling PRO64, now the temps are these:

Core Temps
Idle: 24/25C°
Load: 48/50C°

Socket Temps
Idle: 36/38C°
Load: 59/60C°

Unfortunately my problem is the heat of the room, which is constantly around 30C°.
The case is already completely open.

His specs r similsr to me.n room temp too,my room goes around 25to30deg C..
Its disappointing me n m hesitating to buy fx8120 2mrw..

Yes but that is 2 different cpu coolers. Here is a couple reviews where you can compare them. As you will see in the reviews the Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 is a good 5*C hotter than the Noctua NH-D14 now compare that to a review on the EVO where it runs neck in neck with the same Noctua NH-D14.

As RGone has already said with your high ambient temps it might or might not be enough. I am not real familiar with the EVO but looking at the review it looks like you ahve the ability to add a second fan to the cooler which might make a difference as well. I am sure someone with a little more knowlege with the evo might come forward yet or RGone will pop in at some point as well with much better advice.

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/arctic_cooling_freezer_13/4.htm
http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/cm_hyper212_evo/4.htm

Back