• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

q9550 temp under load with prime95

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Darmonic

Hi,
I have somewhat of a basic question (or what I thought should be one but finding an answer has proven difficult). I have an Intel q9550 core 2 quad processor (2.83 ghz). When attempting to overclock to anywhere around 3.4 I'm seeing an average temp. between 75 and 80 celcius when running the prime95 stress test (the small ffts test). Are these temps acceptable? Obviously cooler is better but then playing a game or random computer use will probably never stress my cpu out more than a test like this. I've also heard that 75 and up is bad, but someone else told me 80 is perfectly fine.

Please help,
Thanks

Those temps are fine. Mid 80s stress testing is around mid 70's or less for anything else. :)

Thanks, that's a relief. I didn't want the heatsink/fan I bought to go to waste, and seeing stock speeds on startup is just...annoying haha

Back