• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Rig, Old HDD Issue. Help ASAP please.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yamitoko

So, I just reinstalled my HDD into my brandnew rig and it is booting to the "Loading Windows" screen and then flashing a blue screen and rebooting immediately. Does anyone have any idea what could be the issue here?

Here's the specs
CPU: Intel i5 2500K
RAM Samsung 8GB DDR3 1600
MOBO: ASRock z77 Extreme4
HDD: A Western Digital Caviar from a few years back with 500GB on it. I was using this HDD less than 10 hours ago and it was working flawlessly. I just attempted a System Restore, it said it was completed successfully and just had the same issue with booting. Any suggestions?

Windows recognizes the motherboard the instant that you install it for the first time. If you move that same copy to another system, it might think you have illegally obtained that copy of windows, so you'll at least have to re-activate. The adjustments that Windows makes in the first install configure it for that chipset, so installing it on new system could make it unstable.

You'll probably have to move your data to another drive, reformat, reinstall from the Windows CD, move data back.

Well, I don't really care too much about the data. I just did a system recovery and now it's saying something about a Configuration error which I theorized just a moment ago and it aligns with what you're saying about it because the harddrive came from an OEM system. How would I go about reformatting it to do a fresh install and re-activate it with the sticker included on the old case? The only reason that I ask is because I don't possess a Windows 7 Installation CD, since it was OEM.

Don't know if it's against forum policies, if it is - then delete my post please.

If the Windows 7 OEM came from a defferent pc, you are actually doing something illegal if you try to install it on another pc.

If your Windows 7 OEM is from the original pc where it belong, and you just exchange parts - you might have to phone Microsoft and have them re-activate your Windows 7 OEM.

On many OEM systems today, there are no recovery DVD/CD's included - the recovery partition is on the harddrive.

Your Windows 7 license number is written on a label somewhere on your cabinet, and if you use our mutual friend Google, it aint that hard to find a ISO containing the Windows 7 you need - a lot is having the same issue that you have.

the problem is that windows is trying to load chipset drivers for a different motherboard, and it will instant bsod and create a boot loop only choice is to reinstall windows. i tried for days trying to fix the same issue gave up.

the problem is that windows is trying to load chipset drivers for a different motherboard, and it will instant bsod and create a boot loop only choice is to reinstall windows. i tried for days trying to fix the same issue gave up.

Exactly, Windows try to load various drivers which are installed but useless for your new configuration and tries to find the relevant drivers for your new configuration and can't find them. You'll need to reinstall.

There are official win7 iso on Microsoft's server, you just have to find them. Though if you don't have a legal license you will only be able to use it for a limited time as a trial. When it's installed, you can always apply a legal license to switch it back from trial to normal mode.

Back