• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Received two servers but unsure on what to do with them

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cerberus2k7

Drifto Mexicano
As the title says, I just got two servers to play with. Ones a DDR2 based Xeon(dual socket, one currently in use) 2u with 12 HS drive bays, the other is a 2u with 4 5.25 bays.

The 12 bay box is running a super micro Super x7dbu(link) while the other is running a P4, however I do have a Super micro Super x7sba(link) to swap in as well as an E8500 that can run it. My question comes in the form of what server should do what. I really like the idea of having the 12 bay to act as a file server to my HTPC/laptops, but overall I feel that it's too powerful(dual xeon w/32gb DDR2 @Max specs) and could be better used as a VM test bed. I'm not planning on using it for some funky small business network in a home with AD and whatnot. Just want to have some fun and tinker. If I do keep a fileserver on the more powerful server, maybe a VM based NAS?

As for the rest of the environment, there's an HP procurve 400M and a Spectra T50 for backups. No gig backbone yet, but it's in the works. i5 based HTPC, iPad/phones, 2 laptops. Again the main use is going to be for media streaming/file sharing within the network. The T50 handles 80TB worth of tapes so overall integrity shouldn't be an issue with regular fulls/snapshots.

This is purely for the benefit of the folding team buuuuttt

Fold on them? Apparently Team 32 could use some dedicated folders!

This is purely for the benefit of the folding team buuuuttt

Fold on them? Apparently Team 32 could use some dedicated folders!

I used to fold. Lost the motivation since I'm constantly tweaking settings and breaking stuff.

Cerberus, if you want to play with the systems, throw a Linux distro on them (personally, I use CentOS 6.x) and install Virtualbox/phpVirtualbox. This gives you a playground to install whatever you want. My main file server is a testbed where I install different operating systems or try to get things working (LDAP servers, Windows domains, web servers, etc).

Cerberus, if you want to play with the systems, throw a Linux distro on them (personally, I use CentOS 6.x) and install Virtualbox/phpVirtualbox. This gives you a playground to install whatever you want. My main file server is a testbed where I install different operating systems or try to get things working (LDAP servers, Windows domains, web servers, etc).

Oh yes, I plan on running CentOS(Been running Cent/Ubuntu/Fedora on my HTPC). Along with Windows Server and SQL for injection/pentesting. I'm also used to ESXi so I'm going to use that as the host.

Back