• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't control myself upgrades need to be done

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thobel

So as usual I get bored and can't ait for the next grat thing as planned.

So current plans for the upgrade feedback welcome

Asus R4E
Intel 3960x
Areca ARC-1882I
4 OCZ vertex 4 120GB (raid 0)
2x Evga 690's will go with the Koollance block if Copper is not released in next few days.

so memory I'm looking at the Corsair Platinum debating speeds to get now I have no intention of running at 3000mhz but I'm thinking of getting the 2800 version and running around 2000 with tighter timings any thoughts?

The system will be upgrading system in the sig.

Wow, that sounds like one super system. Is the 3960x really necessary when the 3930k is effectively the same but significantly cheaper?

Now as a fellow benching team member I always love to see some crazy purchases, but I'm trying to keep it realistic ;)

The Corsair Platinums look to be excellent, but I'd bet that you will need a super IMC to run at their rated speeds. If you only plan on running them at DDR3-2000(ish) I don't see any reason to spend that kind of money on the memory. Now if you will be benching it (and you can afford their skyhigh price) then I say go for it if you will be able to hit those kinds of speeds, but it may require some sub-zero action.

As for the dual 690s I would check around as scaling past 2 cards really starts to dwindle, especially from 3->4 GPUs. Although you also don't say what resolution will be used.

Wow, that sounds like one super system. Is the 3960x really necessary when the 3930k is effectively the same but significantly cheaper?

Now as a fellow benching team member I always love to see some crazy purchases, but I'm trying to keep it realistic ;)

The Corsair Platinums look to be excellent, but I'd bet that you will need a super IMC to run at their rated speeds. If you only plan on running them at DDR3-2000(ish) I don't see any reason to spend that kind of money on the memory. Now if you will be benching it (and you can afford their skyhigh price) then I say go for it if you will be able to hit those kinds of speeds, but it may require some sub-zero action.

As for the dual 690s I would check around as scaling past 2 cards really starts to dwindle, especially from 3->4 GPUs. Although you also don't say what resolution will be used.

CPU Well in the grand scheme of things the added cost is a rounding error :) Seems just wrong to go "top shelf" on everything and then save a few bucks on the cpu :)

Ram Well thing is I'm not looking ot run it at say 2800 (although never know) I was thinking running at 2000ish with cl7would be kinda nice :)

GPU's currently running on a Dell 30' @2560x1600 I add 3x 30"'s to my cart at least once a week and get pissed that the tri mount for them would be like $1000 and stop but one day I will do tri 30's

Have you looked at Hokiealumnus's 3 monitor mount setup? I don't know that it accomodates 3 30" monitors, but it was inexpensive and the build quality was particularly impressive. He has threads about it around here somewhere.

I would also vote for the K rather than the X. I get where your head is on it. I would just want to avoid the criticism, which is pretty well founded, that its a waste of a few hundred bucks for a little extra ondie cache, when you could put that extra cash into another GPU or a couple more SSDs.

On the RAID controller, that is a pretty good choice. For a couple hundred bucks more, you could get the one with upgradeable ram up to 4GB: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816151112

That model also has another BIG advantage... Talk to tsunamijuan and he could pretty easily get the connectors, and solder them on to turn it into this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816151122

I've had one, its the same exact PCB, same firmware - only difference between the models is the size of the ram stick it comes with, and the connectors. Solder on the connectors, and thats a major upgrade. One catch I will note about the ram - it is hard to find a 4GB stick that is detected by the card as a 4GB stick. Nzaneb and I tried a few different ones, and most were detected as 2GB sticks - if you really want 4GB onboard cache without any hassle, might be worth just buying that model.

I'm not sure what I'd do on the ram front. I haven't seen much testing of these newer high rated sticks at lower frequencies and tightened timings. Logically they should tighten up timings, but I'm not sure if they compete well against the sticks optimized for lower frequencies and tight timings... However, I like going with high rated sticks in your situation - sell the CPU/mobo, grab the newer hex cores once they come out, and move the rig over to update it carrying everything else over.

Have you looked at Hokiealumnus's 3 monitor mount setup? I don't know that it accomodates 3 30" monitors, but it was inexpensive and the build quality was particularly impressive. He has threads about it around here somewhere.

I would also vote for the K rather than the X. I get where your head is on it. I would just want to avoid the criticism, which is pretty well founded, that its a waste of a few hundred bucks for a little extra ondie cache, when you could put that extra cash into another GPU or a couple more SSDs.

On the RAID controller, that is a pretty good choice. For a couple hundred bucks more, you could get the one with upgradeable ram up to 4GB: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816151112

That model also has another BIG advantage... Talk to tsunamijuan and he could pretty easily get the connectors, and solder them on to turn it into this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816151122

I've had one, its the same exact PCB, same firmware - only difference between the models is the size of the ram stick it comes with, and the connectors. Solder on the connectors, and thats a major upgrade. One catch I will note about the ram - it is hard to find a 4GB stick that is detected by the card as a 4GB stick. Nzaneb and I tried a few different ones, and most were detected as 2GB sticks - if you really want 4GB onboard cache without any hassle, might be worth just buying that model.

I'm not sure what I'd do on the ram front. I haven't seen much testing of these newer high rated sticks at lower frequencies and tightened timings. Logically they should tighten up timings, but I'm not sure if they compete well against the sticks optimized for lower frequencies and tight timings... However, I like going with high rated sticks in your situation - sell the CPU/mobo, grab the newer hex cores once they come out, and move the rig over to update it carrying everything else over.

Doh the temptations :) i'll see if I can find his thread on the tri mounts :)

I have the card with 4GB cache you sold it to me :) I'm thinking about using that one in the PC upgrade and the new one in the server.

As for the memory when are you guys doing a review slowpokes :)
And the plan is to sell the 980x, R3E, Hyper memory, 3x 580's with blocks

Here you go Thobel; created it just for you: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=711403 Unfortunately it's 27" max on the monitors, but if you wanted to get rid of your 30" in favor of three 27" models, it's a good stand.

+1 to getting a 3930K, fwiw. Four hundred bucks is four hundred bucks and not worth the difference IMHO.

So i have had a 30" Dell @2560x1600 for a few years now. I have looked at the Dell 27" @ about $400 less it's a nice savings for 3 but I'm scared of the lower res.. Has anyone had @2560x1600 then moved to 2560x1440 did you notice the differnece?

I don't disagree about X vs K but I have had a E/X since they started making them I feel like its breaking a tradition or something

If you really pretty much plan on running the ram at DDR3-2000ish I'd just get a set of PSC or BBSE that is already rated for those speeds, which you could get used for less than $100 (depending on the amount of RAM that you are looking for)

If you really pretty much plan on running the ram at DDR3-2000ish I'd just get a set of PSC or BBSE that is already rated for those speeds, which you could get used for less than $100 (depending on the amount of RAM that you are looking for)

I have Super Talent DDR3 2133 @1806 7-7-6-17 1T i just cant find a 4th stick anywhere :(

I think I saw some for sale on a different forum. I think Splave was selling them

Back