• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Having trouble with video driver after overclocking cpu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

VicVic

:bang headHI there

I am a beginer on overclocking.
I have been dealing with my overclocking problem for a while, and it starts getting more fratrasted.

My desktop spec:

i7 3820
2x Gigabyte 7970 OC
Gigabyte UD5
2x Vertex 4 in RAID 0
Rosewill 1000w

I spent half of a day on finding the problem by installing a new windows 7 and rebooting the system each time after each driver was installed.

I set gear ratio at 1.25*35 (4.5 GHz), and memory dropped down to 2000 MHz in order to be stale. While not having video driver, I ran and passed Intel Burn Test for 20 rounds and Prime95 for the first 2 rounds (about 32 mins)

Once the video driver is installed, Wondows 7 wont boot in and stop at posting screen after the windows flag. I attemped to mess a little with IMC, Vcore, but I didnt have any success with it.

I really like to know if there is anything I did wrong.
Please give me some suggestion.
Thanks for reading it

:welcome: to the forums

Just to make sure I understand - if you have the CPU running at stock you can boot into Windows properly and install the driver?

Yes, indeed
If I tuen the multiplier up to the limit which is 43x100MHz, the problem wont show up

Few days ago, I also tried my Sapphire 6970, and I got the same result

I am thinking if it might just be AMD platform's problem or there is something that I miss.

By saying you changed your settings to 1.25x35 =4.5ghz I think you must have changed the base clock.
From what I understand with intel cpus they don't work too well overclocking the base clock, just adjust the multiplier :D

Hope this helps.

The X79 platform has bclk 'gears' so you essentially go up to 1.25 gear from 1 and its ok. I have no experience with that gearing on a locked CPU, but it worked well with 3930k.

i know on 775 platform when i start to lose devices when overclocking a bump in the NB voltage does the trick normally, though i dont know how this new stuff works that great.

i know on 775 platform when i start to lose devices when overclocking a bump in the NB voltage does the trick normally, though i dont know how this new stuff works that great.
Hoo Flipping ray.
Someone out there with the same problem I got.
I almost feel like I got to go back to school with all this jigery pokery since the i3 lot came in.
Thanks Intel for messing with my (admittedly small) brain.
Changing the multiplier is the only way I can pretend I know anything about contemporary overclocking.
Thanks wagex for making me feel a bit less left out in the cold.

Hoo Flipping ray.
Someone out there with the same problem I got.
I almost feel like I got to go back to school with all this jigery pokery since the i3 lot came in.
Thanks Intel for messing with my (admittedly small) brain.
Changing the multiplier is the only way I can pretend I know anything about contemporary overclocking.
Thanks wagex for making me feel a bit less left out in the cold.

lol well my problem was with chips 3 generations behind that overclocked in a different way and i believe now the nb is on the chips instead of on the board if im not mistaken so idk if it even has anything to do with your probelm just tossing out a suggestion:-/

Maybe not but it still sounded good to hear someone admit they dont know it all!
I have been out of the loop for long enough that I will need to sit down and concentrate hard on learning how overclocking is done these days.
I really feel a complete noob and need to take in what the experts are advising for contemporary tech.
Bit of a climb down if you see what I mean.

Are you running the x86 or x64 version of Win7, and what's the file name of the Ati driver package you installed?

Are you running the x86 or x64 version of Win7, and what's the file name of the Ati driver package you installed?

Im running X86 and I have tried from catalist 12.1-12.4
None of them work with 1.25 gear ratio....
I got depressed becuase I have seem many other have successful experience on setting gear ratio at 1.25 but not my....

I also put up an AMD 6970 for a try, but it failed as well

I started worrying that if I tried Nividia video card might help?

The X79 platform has bclk 'gears' so you essentially go up to 1.25 gear from 1 and its ok. I have no experience with that gearing on a locked CPU, but it worked well with 3930k.

What video card and driver do you use?

Aother thing that I have tried is by raising IMC votage from 0.94v to 1.04v...
Should I raise it higher?

Back