• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

asking for more first build advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rand Peltzer

Registered
Hello.

I'm looking help on a first time build.

This is my hardware list.
I5-3570k $190
Asrock z77 extreme 4 $80
Pc power and cooling silencer mk iii $60
Corsair vengeance 8gb (2x4gb) $57 Dvd drive $17
Sandisk extreme 120gb ssd $100
I have a seagate barracuda 1tb hard drive from another pc
Saphire 11201-00-20g radeon hd 7770 $120
Nzxt phantom 410 $80
Cooler master hyper 212 EVO $37

So I'm looking at $741 plus applicable taxes for hardware.

Are microcenter's 2 year replacement plans worth $10 on the mobo and $20 on the cpu?

This will be mostly for gaming. Watching video when I don't feel like firing up an optoma hd70 projector. And light avchd editing.

The case right now is my biggest uncertainty. It will be on a desk about 5 feet behind an av Rack in my ht setup. Size isn't a concern. I would like to spend under $100 but get something as dust resistant as possible with decent airflow and possibly a "cool" window. The phantom 410 doesn't seem to like it would be that good with the dust issue without adding filters. And the bottom filter does not slide out and may be inconvenient to access.

Do I need the full version of windows 7 or is the system builder ok?

My experience is limited to swapping optical drives and adding a video card. Is it reasonable to think I can do this with help from YouTube and forums? My only other technical experience is doing 12 volt installs at best buy for 7 years. I'd like to think i'm not one of their hacks you so often hear about.

If you're asking for help here, I believe that alone puts you at an intelligence level above most Best Buy employees, lol. It's mostly that they just employ whoever to repeat something to the customer, when most of the time neither has any clue about technology. But that's a separate issue.

IMO, drop down the case budget a bit and try to get in a better video card. HAF912 is an excellent case for $60. If you really want a case with all the features you listed, I'd look at the Lian Li K9WX.

Should be able to find a Hyper212+ for $20. Also might be able to get a OCZ Agility 3 120GB under $100 if you find it on sale. Either way, if you can squeeze in a 6950 for $180-200, it should game better.

I do like the suggestions for the cases. Is there a big advantage to having an exhaust fan on the top of the case. Will the lian li k9wx provide enough airflow for an aircooled overclocked setup?

I was hoping to get away with spending under $150 for the gpu. If I will get a noticeable difference for the extra $50 I will do that. Is there any reason to get a graphics card with pcie-3 over pcie-2 when spending under $200?

You can get a Mushkin Chronos 120GB SSD for $95, and it'll be running with some of the fastest SSDs on the market.

Also, I love my M59 case, and it has removable dust covers on all the intake fans, as well as a removable PSU filter on the bottom. Lots of room for a mid-tower too.

Spend the money and get a good name of PSU too, most of the guys around here run Corsair or OCZ. Never heard of the one you've got listed.

If you want to save some money on RAM, go with a GSkill DDR3 1600 2x4GB set, that will run $47 here.

I will look more into the M59 when i can get access to WiFi. Right now I just have 3g on my phone. I'm thankfull overclockers forums has a mobile view.

Pc power and cooling is listed as an ocz technology group company and is advertised on their packaging. $60 is a sale price from $100.

I will look more into the M59 when i can get access to WiFi. Right now I just have 3g on my phone. I'm thankfull overclockers forums has a mobile view.

Pc power and cooling is listed as an ocz technology group company and is advertised on their packaging. $60 is a sale price from $100.

Disregard my comment about a PSU then, that's an awesome deal!

PCP&C used to be one of the best. Their quality went down when OCZ bought them... but they're still extremely good PSUs.

One of the best bang/buck GPUs costs $400+, if that says anything. Under $150 is mid/low end for a gaming GPU. If you really want to stay under $150, stick to a 6870. If you can grab a used 6950 for $170, that's a great deal.

There is a lot of confusing information about windows oem vs retail out there. Will I be ok with oem if this is the only computer I plan on installing windows on?

It's not that confusing. Retail is transferable between multiple computers, as long as it's only on a single computer at a given time. OEM licenses are tied to the motherboard of the computer you first install it on.

Technically, a new motherboard means you need a new license. Also, after multiple upgrades to different parts, Windows might recognize it as a different computer and invalidate. However, Microsoft is VERY lax on the motherboard rule. Usually you can just call them and tell them you made an upgrade and Windows deactivated and they will reactivate your key or give you a new one.

Ok. I will just go with oem. Since i was expecting to go retail I now have more money for a better gpu. Until I decide on one will i be ok using integrated graphics?

Please delete this if it is against the rules:

Couldn't he get the Anytime Upgrade key and just get the disc for Home Premium/Pro elsewhere?

If you source the disc/ISO from elsewhere, the upgrade key will still work to activate Windows, unless they have changed it. (Did it for dad)

Now i'm trying to decide between a saphire 6870 and 6950. There is a $50 difference. Would the 600 watt psu be good enough or do i need more power? Are there any physical size restricions I should be concerned about? I read a review that the 6950 was big and could warp the mobo if not installed correctly.

Last edited:
There are two things you NEVER want to skimp on, the PSU and memory. The memory you have listed will probably be fine, but if you plan to overclock and run a higher end video card, 600w PSU might be a bit on the low side.

Never skimp on memory? Never heard that, lol. I always skimp on my memory since OCing it doesn't really offer much benefit and if it doesn't work at stock I can RMA it.

$50 more for a 6950 is borderline worth it. Flip a coin. :D

Good 600W PSU is more than enough.

Never skimp on memory? Never heard that, lol. I always skimp on my memory since OCing it doesn't really offer much benefit and if it doesn't work at stock I can RMA it.

$50 more for a 6950 is borderline worth it. Flip a coin. :D

Good 600W PSU is more than enough.
Depends on what your overclocking to.....LOL
You really don't need to overclock the memory, just buy a higher speed kit or something with tighter timings. The point I was trying to make is that memory prices are pretty low right now and it might be a good time to take advantage of that.

True, true.
siw
@op, any high end GPU will possibly warp the mobo if not installed correctly...all you have to do is slide it in and put a screw in the PCIe slot hole to support it. IMO 6950 is worth it for an extra $50. If you happen to get the Sapphire version with the dual BIOS switch, you might be able to unlock it into a 6970 if you're lucky. Not great chances of that though.

I'm now thinking of a 6950 or gtx480. They will cost essentially the same price. They seem very comparable except maybe for the gtx480 running hotter. Is this another coin toss? Is this overkill for my current displays? I will have it hooked up to an old 22" x2gen that is 1680x1050 and a optoma HD20 projector that is 1080p. I suppose there is a chance someday it might get hooked up to a Samsung 50" 720p plasma.

Last edited:
GTX480 runs REALLY hot and consumes a TON of power. Like more than any single-GPU card out there. 6950, without a doubt.

Thanks for all your help Knufire.

I am looking at the sapphire HD 6950 100312-3L on amazon and found it deactivated on newegg.

What version of the 6950 is this? It is 34th on amazons best seller rankings but I am having trouble finding info on it anywhere else. Even on sapphire's website. It is pictured with having 2 fans similar to the dirt3 edition which is listed seperately with model #100312-3SR.

Back