• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Issue: Coolermaster Hyper N520 + Rampage III Formula

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bluntski

Hey Guys.

I made an account to hopefully get some insight on the issue I have been having.

My custom build PC is about a year old now and I noticed that my CPU temps were idling a little high (65-70c) so I went ahead and bought some new Artic Silver so I could re-apply some fresh compound to my cpu/sink.

After taking everything apart I noticed that there was an excessive amount of compound on my CPU so I assumed that this is what was causing the high temps. I clean my CPU with isopropyl alcohol and applied the new compound using a "bb sized" amount in the center of the CPU. This is where my issue became more apparent.

I am using an Asus Rampage III formula with the Coolermaster hyper n520 heat-sink. After getting everything ready to re-seat the heat-sink I noticed that the copper plate on the heat-sink did not make full contact with the cpu. There is about .5-1mm worth of space between the cooler and the cpu so there is no legitimate contact between the 2. The N520 has a strange bracket that has 2 screws that hold on the top half of the bracket. The problem is that the screws are not flat so they make contact with the CPU housing before the copper block on the heat-sink hits the CPU which causes them not to touch as I said before.

Do I have to find a way to remove the housing that holds in the CPU? This is what the screws are making contact with and preventing the copper plate from making contact.

Does anyone have a Formula III + N520 that doesn't have this issue?

Hoping to get any insight at all here. Thanks in advance.

-Blunt

Back