• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What to do with old PC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

irrykuxeh

I have this old computer that I found laying around the other day. Opened it up, took it apart, realized that most/all of its components are obsolete for any purpose I might have for it. I want to keep the case since it has a mATX form factor, and I'm thinking about painting it for another build.

It is a socket A Mobo. Athlon XP 2200+. IDE hard drive, CD, DVD, Floppy Readers. 512 MB of DDR PC266 RAM. 250W PSU.

I thought about parting it out on the forum or Craigslist or something, but I figured no one would want any of these parts. Is it worth posting up in the Classified? Should I recycle it? Light it on fire? I just want to get any use out of these parts that I can, but I don't want to keep them around.

You can use it to contribute to Folding@Home ;) but since you don't want to keep it, I suppose that isn't the best option :/
PSU, CD and DVD drives, and HDD are probably worth posting somewhere.

It is a socket A Mobo. Athlon XP 2200+. IDE hard drive, CD, DVD, Floppy Readers. 512 MB of DDR PC266 RAM. 250W PSU.

Is it worth posting up in the Classified? Should I recycle it? Light it on fire?

There are people on this forum(like myself) that buy/sell socket A systems still.

If you have access, list it up in the forum classies and see what happens.

High performance cluster

Save up a couple of old PCs and cluster them. As far as I know all you need is a network switch, a couple of PCs and a specialized OS, then you can do cool stuff like fold proteins and do fun astrophysics calculations. I'm sure there are sketchy applications too, but stay away. :comp:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beowulf_cluster

Working on one myself to run a minecraft server for a friend

Back