• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How Much Better Is H100 than Hyper 212+?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

compdewd

Registered
Hello all! My main question here is how much better would water cooling be than my what I am currently using which is the Cooler Master Hyper 212+? I know this is probably a stupid question to some, but I have been having temperature problems with my CPU (AMD FX-8120) and spending $100+ on a water cooling kit is not exactly something I want to throw away if water cooling will not help me much. I am considering the Corsair H100. These temperature comparisons show me that the H100 will give me a decrease in temps of 3C compared to the Hyper 212+. Also, their rise in ambient temperature is not equal to my rise in temperature. Room temperature (which I assume is what is meant by "ambient temps") for me is 25C and under 125W load like the link says, I get CPU core temps of 38C at stock 3.1GHz which is +13C.

I would like to know what "rise above ambient" temps you all get with your water cooling setups. I seem to be beating the link's benchmarks for the Hyper 212+ so I'm wondering if water cooling will even help any more and in your opinion, is a possible 3 degrees gain worth $120. Thank you all ahead of time!

Note: The temperature problems I have been having with my processor are that from what I've noticed, around core temps of 39-41C, the multiplier and core voltage will drop dramatically (1.2V to 0.8V, multiplier down to ~7x) to (I assume) try to cool the CPU. If this is happening for another reason, please share that with me!

Again thank you for your replies! :)

Last edited:
Looking for a specific number of degrees that a given cooler will decrease your temperature is, frankly, foolishness. Coolers are dissipating watts, not degrees, and every processor runs differently, so expecting to be able to replicate the results of another's setup on your chip is not reasonable. I can't answer your question, but I figured I would bring some perspective to what you are asking.

No, there's inherent differences in each chip due to flaws in the silicon that make certain chips run differently than others. That's the same reason that the synthetic load testing (I'm looing at you, frostytech) people do to test heatsinks is always out of line with the actual testing. You can get an idea of it, but there are just too many variables from processor to TIM spread, etc to really be able to say "x component drops your temperatures y degrees"

39-41C is not hot. It shouldn't be throttling. Seems like cool n quiet is working. AMD doesn't recommend running above 61C. So you have about 20C to play with.

compdewd said:
Note: The temperature problems I have been having with my processor are that from what I've noticed, around core temps of 39-41C, the multiplier and core voltage will drop dramatically (1.2V to 0.8V, multiplier down to ~7x) to (I assume) try to cool the CPU. If this is happening for another reason, please share that with me!

Don't mess with these guys in cooling much since they should certainly be tops at their craft. Hang in the AMD section and a couple of others pretty much but your post caught my eye.

1. With the coming of the 8 core FX processors that are overclocked with cool N quiet and other green cooling conventions turned off, the H100 is not enough to take the load of Prime 95 in blend mode for 2 hours without overheating.

2. We judge those temps with Prime 95 in blend mode and HWMonitor open on the desktop logging min/max of temps and voltages. And then caputure the HWMonitor with CPU temp and CORE Temps both visible.

3. When the FX's were pushed they often had the CPUIN2 which is usually CPU Temp go to about 61c and the cpu would throttle.

4. Water cooling did not help at all since that CPU Temp is not from top of the cpu but more closer to the socket. Many put a fan blowing on the rear of the mobo or blowing under the back edge of the mobo and stopped the FX 8 cores from throttling.

RGone, I am very excited to see that you know of this frustrating throttling problem. I guess I'll PM you so this thread doesn't go in a completely different direction now

ive got the same cpu and it does in fact get to 61 in prime 95. mine is getting to 63. im am currently putting in the hours of research to build myself a water cooling system. i know its going to be worth it.

Attachments

• stress test 2.jpg
    stress test 2.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 2,258
on a Chip with TDP 130W.
on full load, probably a 6-8 'C difference I say.

yama187, the temps that count are the "core" temps not cpu temp.
the "cpu" temp you seem to be refering to is of much less value, or concern than core temps.

Back