• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Questions about Sanyo Denki fans

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bodyrocka03

Registered
So I got my hands on some Sanyo Denki 109r1212h1011's from EBAY. I have read that these are supposed to be some of the best fans you can use for water cooling or just air cooling in general. However, I have a couple of questions about them:

1st: I will be running 6 of them, can/should I use a fan controller for these? If so which fan controller should i use? I currently have a Cosmos II case with the fan controller(upgraded version en route).

2nd: I have hooked them up to my fan controller and mobo alike and they dont seem to be running @ the rated 2800rpm at all, the are running more like 1500. I hooked them up to the mobo to see what the were spinning at, 1300RMP. How do i remedy this?

Last edited:
those are 38mm fans I think.

rated for a a current of 0.52A, which your header should be able to manage.

so try a few things.

1, run it on a 4-pin molex, see does it run at full speed, if it does, your fan header is probably just not strong enough to push it, you can use a cable to still control it from the header, but use the 4-pin molox as power source.

2, if that doesn't work, possible that you might have defective fans.

I see, so because the fans came terminated with a 3pin fan cable, i would need an adapter to test that theory?
@ Kiriakos thats a good idea. I will do that, however I will test the controller that came stock with the Cosmos II, and also with the upgraded one i should be getting soon.

Well I used the adapter and tested it out that way. It seems to be turning at the same speed. I have yet to try the mulitimeter as I cant seem fo find mine. I'll keep looking for it and try that too. It just seems wierd that my Yate Loons seem a good bit stringer than these, I hope I didnt get a bad batch of fans.

Probably not. Yates seemed to have a great mechanical/flow engineer who hit on a great mix of all fan goodness.

If it's a true 3 pin you can hook the RPM output to a fan controller and see if it's really spinng at the RPM stated. You didn't mention the Yates you have. 2600 at 13.8 volts gets close to 2000 RPM like the HS Yates run at, or close to it.

Dunno, if they were cheap, have good pressure through the rad, and have BEARINGS, then it's a good deal.

Well I figured out the problem. I just realized/remembered that the speed on them is regulated by the temperature that the fan senses. I tested this by using a hair dryer. I was able to get the fan to spin at 2700+ RPM. My new question is, would these be ok for a watercooling setup? It seems like they would sense the temps coming of the rad and adjust accordingly. Here is a link to the fans I bought, let me know what you think:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140688252973

You didn't get 109R1212H1011's. You got 109R1212T1H142's, which are indeed thermally controlled fans. Actually, they are still being produced. You can tell yours are new because they draw 0.48A, not 0.52A the way the olds ones did. You're lucky you have RPM lines on them because a -102 has only two lines -- gnd and 12v.

You can buy newly made 9G1212H101's from Newark.com for $19.27 each. You can buy 9G1212H1011's with plugs and sleeves for $22.99.

Wouldn't know how to advise you what to do with the ones you have.

I see. Im just worried that the fan's sensor won't sense the heat well enough to spin up appropriatley. As conundrum suggested, it would be wise to use them in a pull setup. But does that not take away from some of the performance? I will probably be installing these things tommorow and see how they work.

If you're going to keep them, know that the cool/slow speed is 1300 rpm. I don't know if there is a way to short out the sensors to allow you full speed. When I have tried this it didn't work.

Your seller, with his "109r1212h1011 w temp cntrl JAPAN 120 38mm" told a half truth. An understandable hal truth, but one that fooled you. Too bad the cost of shipping two ways is more than the cost of a fan.

If they were my fans I would put up a separate thread asking how to cope with a thermistor. Explain what you got, with a link to where you got it so people can see what the problem is. I'm sure someone knows the answer, but they might not think to look in this thread.

Back