• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel i series locked chips 'Overclocking'

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mjolnir

Okay so. Specifically the i5 3450/3550.

I'm well aware you cannot 'OC' these chips in a normal fashion that's safe.. But I was curious about something. The turbo frequency. The i5 3450 is 3.1 with a 3.5 turbo. Can you set it in the bios to sit at said turbo frequency over all 4 cores all the time? Thus leaving you with a 'sort of' OC at 3.5ghz across the board? Or does turbo only work with a couple of the cores? I'm just curious. Thanks.

It would help us to know which board you're referring to, but if the BIOS has something similar to the Per Core turbo option, you should be able to set all the turbo multipliers / ratios to x35.

Asus and GB usually have options in BIOS to boost the CPU speeds through an auto OC which generally gives you a good boost. Software overclocking is also an option and the fact is with UEFI and modern digital power control these programs do a much better job than they did a few years back. Also they do not overvolt like crazy any more.

Any board really. That supports it. It's not for any practical use for me at the moment. Was just curious if it could be done.

And Redduc; yeah that's basically what I was after. If they can all be set to that ratio as a static value. Thanks ^^

Back