• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which 7850??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

2fast4you98

I am getting a 7850 which one...I dont know Which is the best for around $250 I want it to be from amazon or newegg and I will oc it so itt doesnt need to be the oc'd one it also needs to be 2 gb. If it comes with games that I would buy then i can go a little higher but I want to stay is the $250 range(give or take $15)

i'm using an XFX Double Dissipation version. it's a fairly nice cooler, haven't oc'ed my personal card yet but reviews have pushed it to 1050mhz core.
not sure how much it is over where you live but i got mine for $270 here in AUD. i'm sure it's at least a little cheaper over there ;)

@ epicmango in my experience factory oc'd gpu's seem to clock about the same as the stock versions, i have 2 6870's in similar systems both sapphire one is factory oc'd and one is stock and if anything i have been able to get the stock one to a higher oc then the factory oc'd one.
cant remember the details of both oc's but i can remember that the stock clocked one got higher clocks on the core.. both got to about the same on memory clocks tho.
this is just my result other people may have found different results with different cards.

Go with the sapphire version if you can.
The cooler on it is pretty good
sapphire-7850.jpg

or the gigabyte version they put big fans but small pipes :/ but to make up for it the heatsink is quite large this one will probably make alittle less noise.
gigabyte_7850.jpg

So the gigabyte is better?

For noise level the Gigabyte one I showed you is probably going to be the best.

For OC capability and noise level the SAPPHIRE. <-- this has the best balance, but you decide on your preference.

And for OC capability but will make more noise, the MSI twin frozr

so in Order best to worst oc capability
MSI twin frozr
Sapphire
Gigabyte

in order noise level quietest to loudest
Gigabyte
Sapphire
MSI twin frozr

I have the Gigabyte 7850 and its a big card due to the heatsink and fans extending farther than the actual PCB.

Regarding noise, I noticed absolutely no sound difference coming from a silent fanless 6670 to the 7850, but I have 6 fans on my computer. But still adding 2 more fans should equate to being louder.

Regarding OC'ing I would actually like to see OC'ing capabilities of all 3 of those cards. I say this because you would think that the card with more fans and a bigger heatsink would keep the card cooler, thus having better stable OC'es...than cards who pack inferior cooling..

I have the Gigabyte 7850 and its a big card due to the heatsink and fans extending farther than the actual PCB.

Regarding noise, I noticed absolutely no sound difference coming from a silent fanless 6670 to the 7850, but I have 6 fans on my computer. But still adding 2 more fans should equate to being louder.

Regarding OC'ing I would actually like to see OC'ing capabilities of all 3 of those cards. I say this because you would think that the card with more fans and a bigger heatsink would keep the card cooler, thus having better stable OC'es...than cards who pack inferior cooling..

Well the gigabytes fans are not optimized for pressure but more for sound level, that is why the heatsink is so big to keep up with the fans design, it does not justify the small heatpipes though.
You might not have heard the diffrence because the fans don't tend to start making any noise till you hit the 60-65% speed level. then you will begin to hear the whining in the smaller fans, and notice the cooling diffrences.
(also remember that card is optimized for sound level so you really won't hear it.)

The only real factor for the oc capability diffrence is the cooling setup. tge TIM they use on the heatsink, and ofc the airflow of the case. not about the card itself. (of course certain cards will run hotter than others with any cooler on it, just like cpus) you can find the results on google np. (its kind of like comparing coolers of a cpu, its the same thing)
if you find the card running to warm, you can always replace the TIM yourself like with the cpu, just make sure the screws do not have seals on them (a sticker) this means if you take the heatsink off you void your warranty.

or you can just buy the cheapest one and buy a really nice aftermarket cooler. (waterblocks or something like scythe)

Last edited:
For noise level the Gigabyte one I showed you is probably going to be the best.

For OC capability and noise level the SAPPHIRE. <-- this has the best balance, but you decide on your preference.

And for OC capability but will make more noise, the MSI twin frozr

so in Order best to worst oc capability
MSI twin frozr
Sapphire
Gigabyte

in order noise level quietest to loudest
Gigabyte
Sapphire
MSI twin frozr

Performance beats all so i will get the msi unless there is a better one out there.

The only real factor for the oc capability difference is the cooling setup. the TIM they use on the heatsink, and ofc the airflow of the case. not about the card itself. you can find the results on google np. (its kind of like comparing coolers of a cpu, its the same thing)

This makes me happy because I effectively have 3 fans on my 7850.
2 Stock from Gigabyte and then 1 intake fan blowing directly onto the heatpipes and heatsinks! I am actually thinking about going home and OC'ing my card to its locked voltage OC which is 1050Mhz and check out the temps.

I know that when I play Crysis 2 I can touch the graphics card heatpipes and they will be cold. I am think I'll be doing some 3Dmark11 testing tonight and see how hot my card gets and then proceed to OC it. I'll make a results thread :D

Performance beats all so i will get the msi unless there is a better one out there.

the performance compared to the sound level is quite marginal you be the judge though. (meaning the sound level diffrence is way bigger)

This makes me happy because I effectively have 3 fans on my 7850.
2 Stock from Gigabyte and then 1 intake fan blowing directly onto the heatpipes and heatsinks! I am actually thinking about going home and OC'ing my card to its locked voltage OC which is 1050Mhz and check out the temps.

I know that when I play Crysis 2 I can touch the graphics card heatpipes and they will be cold. I am think I'll be doing some 3Dmark11 testing tonight and see how hot my card gets and then proceed to OC it. I'll make a results thread :D

yeah depending how you have it setup this could really be the better card for you. being that the noise level is so low you might actually be able to push it further with that additional fan blowing onto it.
especially if you're a noise level freak :D
lollll heatpipes and heatsink cold? MOAR POWER!

I chose to go with the sapphire to get the best of both :p

Then how well the giganyte oc will it oc better with my gigabyte motherboard?? Is it hard to oc?

let me simplfy this for everyone. Either card you chose will be fine. Just get one.

Now, I know that sounds brief but let me explain further...

1. Factory overclocked cards are no different that a stock clocked card in overclocking potential. It will vary. 99% of reference cards can reach overclocked speeds easily.
2. The cooling, when talking about aftermarket cooling will BARELY make a difference in overclocking potential. Its a couple degrees C difference and that isnt nearly enough to make a noticeable jump in core speeds/performance.
3. All cards overclock in the same method so they are all "easy".
4. An MSI card will not overclock or perform better in an MSI board, same with Giga. Every card overclocks different from each brand. No brand is better.

That said, get the cheapest dual cooled solution out. Do not make this harder than it needs to be... again. :)

I knew you would come up with another question... :p

Generally, the larger the fan the less noise it makes since it can spin slower to move more air than a smaller fan. If you want actual db numbers, look up some reviews on the cards you have in mind. That said, I have never had an issue with any aftermarket solution and noise.

Back