• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD FX 6200 with Sabertooth 990FX

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

backups

Registered
Hi so I just recently updated my hardware and I was looking to OC my CPU. Right now I'm running:
AMD FX 6200(at 4,4ghz using the AI tweaker)
Asus Sabertooth 990FX
2x4GB DDR3 1600mhz RAM
Sapphire Radeon 5830
and running win7 sp1 64bits.
So basicly I have some clues about what I should be doing such as using programs like prime 95 to test the system stability after I make some changes. For this overclocking process I'll probably be using the AI Suite II because it's a lot more intuitive than the regular Bios(or at least doesn't look as messy). Also When I go to the TurboV evo on AI Suite II and head to the CPU ratio tab I can only increase the ratio on core 1. can't even select the others even tough I can see them.(any clue about how to fix this?)

Last but not least before I start my overclocking process I'll buy some extra cooling for my computer and I was wondering if you could suggest any particular fan. Noise isn't an issue as long as my computer is cool. Because even right now the temperatures are always between 40-50c.

Thank you for your time

Welcome...

:welcome: to the forums.

I think that since the majority of us will only use the bios to adjust for an overclock, it will be difficult to find any that software overclock.

That said most of the time, we stress a system about 2 hours with Prime 95 in blend mode and use HWMonitor open on the desktop so that we can see the min/max voltages and temps. Generally we would not like to see the CPU CORE TEMPs exceed 60c for stabilities sake and that the Cpu Temp does not exceed approximately 70c. That is pretty clearly the what we do testing an overclock as it progresses.

As an add since you say your temps are already high but you have reached 4.4Ghz, there is only about maybe 100mhz or maybe 200mzh left for that cpu stable with super good air cooling. Without that cooling, you will not run faster without exceeding recommended temps in general.

First of all thanks. Second I already have prime95/AIDA64/HWMonitor and Furmark(which I will need later on when I replace my Graphics card). Basicly what I'm looking for is getting my cpu overclocked without the AI tweaker because I believe It's wasteful and probably running more voltage than the one I need to achieve 4,4ghz. It will be hard for it to go above 4,4 ghz. maybe 4,5 or even 4,6 but nothing past that.(If I'm not mistaken).

I'm pretty new to OCing, I know my way around computers but OCing one is rly the only feature I haven't messed around too much. The thing is right now my computer temperatures aren't exactly what I would call healthy. AMD CPUs while cheap for the performance they give have cooling issues, not to mention the Cooler they send along with the CPU isn't all that powerfull. It's running at 5500 RPM sometimes when I'm gaming or editing videos and the temperatures reach a maximum of aproximetely 53c when I'm like rendering or running previews on editing programs.

I know regarding the temperatures I should ask on the cooling forum but since the only reason I'm gonna get different fans is OCing I tought It was apropriate to also ask it here. Also should I be looking for water cooling all the way or could I get my way around these temperatures with better air flow+extra chassis coolers? Lot's of people speak great things about Wcooling but I've heard lots of complaints regarding the possibility of a leak which is the main reason I'm trying to avoid it if possible.

Also could you give me an estimate regarding the OC? I will probably be looking at maybe 1,5V to get it to 4,6ghz? I know I'll have to test it and I will slowly do it but just wanna have an estimate of what should I be aiming for when I start it

hmmm since you didn't say what cooler your using, I guess its stock, what got my attention is the cpu mobo combo is very close to what I am running, and I can go to 4.5 almost to easy. So while I am in the same boat as you, being new to this generation of overclocking, I am a bench tech, so I am going to ask if it is the stock cooler and the stock factory applied thermal paste?
I agree with your fear of water, I spent the last 38 years trying to keep water and liquids out of computers, and believe me if I was comfortable with the idea I would run it, in a new york minute. But most of what I have seen on here and other places, wc over GOOD air results in a 3c improvement, unless you go with a home brewed system, but the over the counter closed systems are just not that great from what I can see. If I am wrong I am sure it will be pointed out about this. Also if you are using the stock cooler and the stock paste, consider upgrading paste at least to arctic silver 5, supposed to be good for 3c cooler, again that's my research, tbh I never used anything but arctic on mine. I was running 4.2 on a crap mobo before I got this one and it was stable all day long. As far as an estimate I am sure several will jump in and tell you that each system even with the same components will give different results, but I think that with the board you have, the processor, and if you had even decent cooling you would like the results a lot more.

with this processor a top line air cooler is all you will NEED.
low to mid 4ghz is the best range for it to operate in.
ditch the ai suite and bite the bullet and learn the bios.
notice that in ai suite you can do nothing with the cpu/nb, the ht link or the memory.
the cpu/nb and ht require a reboot.

with this processor a top line air cooler is all you will NEED.
low to mid 4ghz is the best range for it to operate in.
ditch the ai suite and bite the bullet and learn the bios.
notice that in ai suite you can do nothing with the cpu/nb, the ht link or the memory.
the cpu/nb and ht require a reboot.

You said it best right there. Can't stand AIsuite.

The original thread is 11 months old or close to it. I doubt the OP will ever be back.

dang I missed that .... :shrug:

The original thread is 11 months old or close to it. I doubt the OP will ever be back.
RGone...

True but we leave words for those that come after us, I spent 2 months reading here before I ever registered. So while I still ask n00b questions, I still spend more time reading here then I do posting.

Back