• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help Picking 60gb SSD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SilverJag

Hi everyone!
I'm a newbie with SSDs and was wondering if you guys could help me in picking one out.

I'm looking for a ~60gb (or 120gb -- but 60 is preferable because of $$) for my OS. All my games and apps would go on a storage drive either way.

I've been looking around and it seems that the Crucial M4 and Samsung 830 seem to be solid picks. I'm shooting for the best in terms of performance and reliability that falls less than or near $100.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated!

Here is recent and fun read on SSD from Tom's Hardware.

I have a Mushkin and like it very much (also like my Corsair). The article from Tom's places the Mushkin Enhanced Chronos in the same tier as the Agility 3 and the Mushkin 120 GB routinely sells for under $100. Mushkin has a non-destructive firmware upgrade, which partly attracted me. Mushkin's support is email but very fast replies. Never owned OCZ ssd's so can't comment on them.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments guys.

I pulled the trigger on a deal newegg was having earlier today. It's a Samsung 830 128gb for $90. Can't wait to get it set up! :)

@Efonzerellie: Thanks a lot for that link! Completely read my mind :)

Hey guys, quick question:

I've installed the 830 and am only getting 323k/540k in write/read, respectively.
It's for sure set to AHCI, SATA 6gb/s (not 3) & I ran WEI too. Any other tips on how to raise the abnormally low write speed?

@Efonzerellie: Thanks a lot for that link! Completely read my mind :)

Hey guys, quick question:

I've installed the 830 and am only getting 323k/540k in write/read, respectively.
It's for sure set to AHCI, SATA 6gb/s (not 3) & I ran WEI too. Any other tips on how to raise the abnormally low write speed?

You know. I had the same problems as you. What fixed my problem was just plugging the SATA cable that connected my SSD, into another one, and BAM, I got advertised speeds. Both connections I had the SSD in, were SATA 3 6gbps so I don't know why just simply switching fixed my problem, but since it did, I am throwing it out as a possible solution.

For OP, this site will give you ALL the information you need. Screw all other performance reviews, you need a straight to the point stat for SSD's, go nowhere but here:
http://www.harddrivebenchmark.net/high_end_drives.html
Gives you straight performance stats, and almost up to date prices! LOOK NO FURTHER :D

Last edited:
Back