• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P877-V LX has me stumped

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kivorn

I recently built the following computer:

P877-V LX
3450 ivy bridge
xfx 6870
8GB PC1333 Viper RAM
800 watt Thermaltake PSU
PNY 128GB SSD

Here is the problem. The computer runs fine at idle, browses the web. Idle temperatures are low on both the CPU, MB sensor and the GPU. When the computer is cold everythign runs fine. When it warms up I start getting black screens while playing 3d games or running benchmarks, etc.

For instance on a cold boot, I can start running a 3d game and all is fine. A few minutes later the screen will go black, but everything else stays fine, a few seconds later the screen will return to normal and this will keep happening. The longer the computer is running, the more frequent this happens. It will eventually get to where it does this immediately upon engaging anything 3d...and then eventually I will get the screen going black and then coming back EVEN while staring at the bios (hence no software issues).

Things I've done :

Pulled each stick of RAM, swapped each to the other slot etc.. doesn't help.
Tried another GPU...same problem.
I have used the onboard video and it seems stable.

Today I moved my computer from the 75 degree F space beneath my desk to my kitchen table where it stays around 68 degrees. With the case side on it took a bit of time to encounter the black screen. So I took the side off and put a fan on it and the problem went away.

It appears to me at this point that I think I have a weak motherboard that is overly heat sensitive.

GPU temps rarely get above 55C, CPU 40C max. Also, once the computer has been running for some time the temps will be cold and immediately upon starting 3d rendering..bam, black screen.

A few times the video is lost completely turning off the monitor and requiring a reboot.

Any help will be appreciated.

edit: wanted to add that voltages on all sensors in the Asus utility all stay strong, never dipping below 5v, 12v etc.

The problem persists with HDMI and DVI outputs. Also does this on my second monitor. Thanks!

Back