• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do i need to fit a fan grill above my cpu cooler?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mascott

Hi
i bult my first pc back in january and the case i bought was the antec veris remote black, the cpu cooler i ended up buying for it was the GeminII SF524 to fit on a amd 960t be cpu but the total height of the cooler is 105mm and i have about 10mm clearance left to the top of my case with it fitted and was happy with how it peformed. have done a bit of reading on the web since then and read on a few forums that there should be about 25mm clearance above a fan for it to work proberly, so was thinking would i be better to cut a hole above my fan and fit a grill? or just leave it as it is as the temps i seem to get are not that hot i think,

album.php

Attachments

• hardware moniters.jpg
    hardware moniters.jpg
    270.4 KB · Views: 74
What are your temps under load? If your temps are still fine then you don't have to do anything. If your temps are high then you might have to do something.

thanks for the reply ,going from the pic i posted.....the idle temp was 20c and under 100% load for a hour running heavy load my core temps went up to 35c have never really worked out yet what the other temps are that are shown at the top of the pic, if anyone can help me with that as well? thanks

i used a programme called heavyload that stressed my cpu and memory to 100% for a hour, can use other programme if you would like me to :)

Hi have had prime 95 running on my pc for the last 3 hours and my temps are now at 21c at idle and 37c at 100% load which seem like pretty good to me :)

album.php

A fan grill is only to prevent you from sticking your fingers in the fan while it's running. You don't need one if your cpu cooler is inside the case ;)

Now as for temps: Did you select for loading the cpu only not the ram? (Blend) If not there's a section in options to select: less ram. This will put more of a load to the cpu only and thus will show loaded temps.

Current temps of 21c at idle and 37c at 100% load is not bad at all tho.

A fan grill is only to prevent you from sticking your fingers in the fan while it's running. You don't need one if your cpu cooler is inside the case ;)

Now as for temps: Did you select for loading the cpu only not the ram? (Blend) If not there's a section in options to select: less ram. This will put more of a load to the cpu only and thus will show loaded temps.

Current temps of 21c at idle and 37c at 100% load is not bad at all tho.

blend stress cpu and mem.

SmallFFTs stresses only CPU. (well technically it still uses the memory as well but small FFTTs fit in CPU cache)

And what BMW said, temps look ok. those temps are wrong BTW off by at least 10C, still well within normal operating values though

Last edited:
Back