• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Playing on GT 640M with lower resolution

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MAL22

Let's suppose I have a full HD laptop with the GT 640m. If I lower the resolution of a game to make it playable (Say, 1366x768). Will the display stretch to the whole screen or is there an option to scale it the way it would look on a genuine 1366x768 screen?

What is the resolution of the screen?

Edit: I ask because there are multiple resolutions considered "HD"

Last edited:
The nVidia drivers have a scaling mode setting under advanced 3d settings. If you want to run at 1366x768 and see it in native res then you simply disable scaling.

The ratios are very very close, so you could scale it.

1920/1080=1.7777
1366/768=1.7786

Likely that you would have a tiny black strip on either the left and right or top and bottom. Probably wouldn't notice it in full screen though.

Ssj, if he cuts scaling off, it will be a small box in the middle of the screen. Effectively cutting your viewing area down and leaving a large black border on all four sides

Great! Because my I've been running AMD GPUs and they don't have that option on unless you have either DVI OR HDMI. Another question. is 1099$ a good deal for an i5-3210M GT 640M LE 1080P 15.5" screen two 4400mah batteries 4Gb RAM?

You could probably play 1080p at lower settings also, just have to try and see.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a Sony laptop. As for hardware, the price is decent at best.

I don't know what brand to pick. That is the problem. Else i can pick an acer laptop on newegg: i5-2450 6GB 750GB HDD 8 hours of battery GT 540M. The 540M is the deceiving part for me. Around 650$

I want a Kepler GPU but in Canada choices are limited... Or inexistant.

The 640M seems to be a pretty solid chip. It lands right in the middle of the top end of mobile GPUS.

check some specs and benches here

I already read all of this ;) But NOW!!! i've got to find a machine with one. In Canada ... XD

If that's the only Kepler in Canada, then its not that bad. Sony isn't my last choice, just not my first either. Can you get Dell? I've always had good luck with them

Been looking... 630M... 550M...650M...HD 7730M now that's interesting because it's neck-to-neck with the GT 640M

Edit: The 640m is a little more powerful than the 7730m for the same TDP.

Just get one with the highest 6xxm you can afford. It'll keep you happier longer that way.

I'll try but most of them are rebranded fermi **** with high power consumption

What's that? And where can i find this?

Last edited:
Back