• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Current GPU, 560 or wait for 660

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AeroBuff

Registered
Just throwing this out there for discussion. Current specs:
Phenom IIX4 945 (3.0 quad)
4GB ddr2 800
500 HDD 7200 RPM
630W Raidmax
Asus ENGT430 1GB
23" 1920x1080, 17" 1440x900
Vista 64

I plan on playing Guild Wars 2 and want max settings with comfortable FPS.
Should I try my 430, go for the 560 (Asus ENGTX560 from Tigerdirect), or wait for the 660 which will probably be around 300?

Just throwing this out there for discussion. Current specs:
Phenom IIX4 945 (3.0 quad)
4GB ddr2 800
500 HDD 7200 RPM
630W Raidmax
Asus ENGT430 1GB
23" 1920x1080, 17" 1440x900

I plan on playing Guild Wars 2 and want max settings with comfortable FPS.
Should I try my 430, go for the 560 (Asus ENGTX560 from Tigerdirect), or wait for the 660 which will probably be around 300?

If you are patient, you can get the 660 when it comes out. If you can't wait, and your willing to spend $300 on a 660, then I would just dump $250 now and get the HD 7850.

Guild Wars 2, according to the released recommended system specs, is not a very GPU intensive game, so you'll be in the safe with either cards.

Might want to ditch that Raidmax PSU as well.

Yes. If you plan on getting any of the cards you and me listed, I would highly recommend you upgrade that PSU. I wouldn't trust a Raidmax PSU to give you the power you need for those cards. I trust my lesser rated 620w Seasonic PSU to do circles around that raidmax..

Actualy, I like my Raidmax, no issues. Come to think of it, I don't know if I'll be able to justify $300 for a GPU. I might opt for the 560, but I think I'll wait to see what the 660 looks like, as it's supposed to have around 1100 cuda cores...we'll see.

Raidmax PSUs are almost undoubtedly utter crap. Problem is that you can't figure out which PSUs are good and what's crap without expensive equipment such as oscilloscopes and load testers. A bad PSU could go at any moment, and since it's connected to every component it has the potential to kill every component.

I'm just really curious if my 430 will be able to hold up at all. I had minimal issues in the betas with it on a Athlon II 6000+

No reason to upgrade if your system is doing everything you want it to. I'd still get a new PSU though. The Raidmax is that worrisome.

If it goes before 1/1/2013 it's covered (granted it doesn't fry the rest of my stuff). If it fries it all, I may be able to fight that, if not that may be fate telling me to upgrade to a more reliable machine haha.

That's not counting the possibly bad ripple its feeding all your components right now.

Head over to Jonnyguru.com and read a few PSU reviews, doesn't matter which ones. You'll learn a lot about what actually makes a good PSU.

Back