• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade possiblities

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ezzep123

Registered
I bought my wife a Toshiba laptop, a p775-s7368, in February or March. We mostly use it for gaming and web browsing. I was wondering if any of you knew if an SSD would be beneficial towards gaming or not. I know that SSDs have a much faster read time, but other than that....I know that it won't help with frame rates.

If that won't do much good, would it be better to upgrade the ram to 8gb? It has 6 right now.

One other thing, this has a dedicated Nvidia 540m card. Can the video card be upgraded or not? I'm just wondering..I know that with most laptops that's not an option, but seeing as this laptop has an actual video card and not some integrated POS I thought maybe there was a slight possibility.

One more thing--there's some mobile processors on newegg. Would they help at all, and are they even from the same socket family? I know Intel likes to switch sockets every month.

If the the GPU uses a MXM socket instead of being soldered to the board, it's upgradeable.

AFAIK, if you get a mobile CPU with the same socket, it should work.

In both cases, I wouldn't replace anything with a higher wattage component in order to not stress the laptops cooling solution more than it can handle.

A SSD would be the most beneficial upgrade, IMO. It also boosts battery life in laptops as it draws almost no power compared to a HDD. 6GB of RAM should be enough.

I wondered about the voltage after I posted it. I'm and old school gamer (athlon series), and so when everyone started recommending intel i5s, I was like "Yeah, you can go suck an egg too!" But it's been a good machine IMO. Much more of an AMD fan, but that's just 'cause I got hooked on the fusion series, and obviously I don't upgrade very often either.

I'll have to wait to get an SSD until the prices drop quite a bit though. They're so dang expensive!

Back