• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Plextor M3 pro 256gb. A dream come true?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brando

I was crushed when I ran crystal disk mark on my vertex 3 128gb when I first got it. 90mb a sec incompressible write speed just looked sad. I know it compresses lots of data but that worst case scenario set my ocd off and it's always bugged me. So apparently I'm behind the times because the plextor m3 pro claims to have overcome this common ssd problem of slowing down after you actually dare to use it. My m3 pro 256gb is coming on tuesday and I plan to run crystal disk mark at least a couple times immediately after transferring my installation over with the included software (almost 50gb). I figure if the benchmarks still look sharp after that there's really nothing I can do to it as far as real world usage that will beat it up more. Here's plextors spiel on the subject.

2vkb0go.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
This is immediately after 2 back to back windows 7 installs on the intel z77 sata3 port. It barely budges. I think I'm happy. Dat sweet sweet incompressible write speed.
Capture.jpg

This is another crystal disk scan immediately after the first one
Capture2.jpg

And yet another right after that.
Capture3.jpg

Last edited:
Tried one more the road after a reset to see if it made a difference. Not really. Gonna dl my steam games overnight and see how it looks then.

Capture4.jpg

As with the M3, 20 minutes of torturing is nowhere enough to put the M3 Pro at its worst state. The average write performance is still 156MB/s, although it does drop to as low as 70-80MB/s for some LBAs.

Next I secure erased the drive and ran our torture test for 60 minutes:

And that's more like it. Average performance has dropped to 45MB/s and there are only three +100MB/s peaks. This was expected as the M3 experienced similar behavior.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5851/plextor-m3-pro-256gb-review/8

meh, sounded too good to be true, guess it is? :p

Read more at http://www.anandtech.com/show/5851/plextor-m3-pro-256gb-review/10#fwQZV2RUpEtWlydI.99

From the link in your post in final words.

"I think it's safe to say that the M3 Pro is one of the best SSDs we have tested, at least from a performance standpoint"

I also noticed they don't compare that part of the review to other drives. Any ssd will cave at some point if you really try. If I ran crystal disk mark twice my vertex 3 throttled to 90 mbs sequential write. This drive seems to perform the same almost no matter what. Unless you're on a mission to destroy it. I'd be interested in other members results from multiple crystal disk mark runs in a row. I'm still learning too and would be curious.

Just something I came across the other day after I saw your post.

Still deciding on an SSD to rep the fried 510 I had. Right now Im looking at the 830, M3 Pro, and 520.

It's pricey but has a 5 year warranty. I'm still not 100% sure it has a real edge running dirty over other drives since all I've owned is a vertex 3 with write throttling but it seems like a safe bet. I'm not going to bs you and say I can feel an obvious difference though. At least my write speed ocd has been appeased. All I can do now is use if for awhile and see if it still performs.

Last edited:
Small writes took a slight hit after installing a bunch of steam games. About half full now.
v6ugdu.jpg
[/IMG]

2 and a half months of installing/deleting games and getting hammered by temporary internet files. Haven't done any special configuration or any intentional maintenance of any kind. Still going pretty strong but I wish the 4k writes would bounce back to 90mb/s like day one. May consider updating firmware.

2dt1vfb.jpg

Generally in the same way are acting my Crucials M4 or some other Marvell based drives ( if producer won't fail firmware ) ... clean or not , performance is not dropping much.
GC is running almost always when drive is left without any special work for 20-30mins+ ... and it's cleaning itself like it should be for GC or TRIM commands.

I'd love to see some benchmarks of various ssd's with how long they've been run, how full, whether they were wiped, trimmed, etc.. for educational purposes if for no other reason than to call plextor out for bragging when they shouldn't be. I'm happy with the drive either way but I'd feel better if I knew the extra cost was for a reason.

I'll have to remember to run some tests on mine and I'll post them for my 128Gig M4's in Raid0.

I'd love to see some benchmarks of various ssd's with how long they've been run, how full, whether they were wiped, trimmed, etc.. for educational purposes if for no other reason than to call plextor out for bragging when they shouldn't be. I'm happy with the drive either way but I'd feel better if I knew the extra cost was for a reason.
I can run my beat to tar Vertex3 (256GB) and see what happens this evening...

That said, it looks like the drive got beat down like every other and it came back up to par... like every other. I'm not sure what this drive offers that others do not so far... perhaps it bounces back quicker? No idea.

Sorry for the delay. This install has been put through the ringer too. Multiple motherboards and chipsets, GPUs... bleh.

attonow.png

Back