• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

monitor vs television

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Michael08

Registered
so I i'm thinking of buying a monitor or tv for my pc. (22'')
If I get a monitor, ill probably buy a freeview box / use it for some consoles.
Which would be better in terms of quality for tv, console and pc.
Which would be better in terms of power consumption.

And can someone sum up the difference between ms and hz, when you buy monitors, you don't get hz but tv's you do vice versa

Personally, I'm no brainy when it comes to making the decision. I would much prefer to get a monitor if I was going to know usage of my computer was going to be high and quality was a must. But if you want more from whichever you buy, it would make sense to get the TV for multi use and generally more value for money.

so I i'm thinking of buying a monitor or tv for my pc. (22'')
If I get a monitor, ill probably buy a freeview box / use it for some consoles.
Which would be better in terms of quality for tv, console and pc.
Which would be better in terms of power consumption.

And can someone sum up the difference between ms and hz, when you buy monitors, you don't get hz but tv's you do vice versa

The monitor will have much better quality images, because people tend to sit far away from their TV's so quality doesn't matter as much. So they increase the size a lot and try to lower the price by using lower quality imagery. I'm not sure what your question means about console and pc, but a pc will have better graphics if you set it to higher detail, otherwise, would be similar.

In monitors the standard, everyone uses 60hz, unless you're hardcore or want 3d for your monitor. TVs that are LCD can have super high stuttering in motion, so 120hz will minimize this. TV's don't have or use ms rating since the ms is the input lag. That is, how long it takes for the monitor to register that you moved the mouse after you did. Nobody uses a mouse with a TV, so it doesn't matter. But it does matter for a monitor.

I hoped I helped!

I would go with the monitor, because if your not looking for anything big then you could save more money then buying a TV. But if you want to watch TV on it to, then it's a different story, but i would go with a monitor, all the way! :)

I personally prefer a monitor. But since my computer is in the living room and its in the center of my entertainment center, I hook it up to my 46" Sony 3D HDTV. So it all come down to this.. Gaming, video/photo editing, etc = Monitor... Watching movies(DVD/Blu/ray) for entertainments, etc=HDTV(TV). That's my opinion.

*Edit*
Most people prefer Monitor instead of HDTV is in fact that some Monitor have a higher resolution than any standard HDTV which is most needed when doing photoshop and video editing.

Last edited:
Grab a monitor. I tried using a 32" TV as a monitor just for the heck of it. It looks very grainy from up close.

My Sony 3D TV @ 240hz looks very sharp. It just that the icon are huge compare to a monitor that have a higher resolution above 180P. I am cool with my Sony 3D. I have everything hook up to a Sony soundbar+sub via HDMI. Sound good..

My Sony 3D TV @ 240hz looks very sharp. It just that the icon are huge compare to a monitor that have a higher resolution above 180P. I am cool with my Sony 3D. I have everything hook up to a Sony soundbar+sub via HDMI. Sound good..

Your computer is most likely only sending the data @ 60hz anyway, the whole 240hz thing is internal processing. I tried playing a 3d game with mine and I either had to drop the resolution to 720p to get 120hz, 1080p was limited at 24fps per eyes.

Back