• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GPU Fan defaulting to 30% sometimes, which can cause gpu to overheat quite badly

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

summergoose

GPU Fan defaulting to 30% sometimes, which can cause gpu to overheat quite badly, recently I was in the middle of a game, and my fan defaulted back to 30% and so my gpu reached 99 degrees = NOT ACCEPTABLE.
Btw I'm using Afterburner to watch my fan, It just seems sometimes my nvidia fan defaults and sticks to 30% for no reason. I have noticed that it usually defaults when the card gets to 68 ish degrees.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Welcome to the forums. :)

Have you tried setting the fan speed manually with afterburner? You could set up a profile for gaming, so the clock-speeds and fan are set manually to full speed when gaming.

What video card do you have? I know the 9800GTX had a bug in the firmware that would randomly drop to the stock fan speed (30%).

my card is a GeForce 8600 GT, I was initially using rivatuner to pump the fan to 100% but it would default back to 30% when it would hit the 68 degree mark. after burner is doing a better job because i have the fan constantly alternating the speed, so the occurrence is less prominent. But it still happens if it goes below 68 degrees.

On the 9800, there was no fix. The firmware would have to be fixed by the manufacturer. Most didn't care about the problem.

There are a few ways to fix it, but it requires modifying the card.

1) Get an aftermarket cooler. Not worth it on that card.
2) Hard wire the fan to 100% or hook it up to a fan controller.

On afterburner i found a setting that said force fan update or something. Hopefully that will make it stay at 100%

seems to have worked, it still defaults to 30% but then shoots back up to where it's meant to be =]

Back