• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7 series low end, where is it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Niku-Sama

you know what i am talking about, decent low end respectable cars that dont break the bank that dont need the latest and greatest power supply to run the things.

something like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...rMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Keywords=(keywords)

that seems like an awsome card for $80

honestly i would rather buy something amd but nvidia has fixed the power hogging problems with their 6xx cards and this one isnt a bad deal with 4 gigs of 128 bit ddr3. usually a low end card has 64 bit ddr2 fromw aht i have seen.

i just want to put something modern in a shuttle system. right now its onboard

HD7750 are starting from about $100 but that's all from 7 series.
If you check gpus in last years then most these cheaper cards were just rebranded older series with little changes like higher gpu clock. I just see no point why they should add something new on old architecture.
These cards don't have anything new and if you compare nvidia cards then you will see that these older versions are often even faster than new.
Really better is probably to get some new board with IGP than pay for a card that has nothing more. Even cheaper boards have now DVI+HDMI.
4GB on a card like GF630 would be a waste. I really can't see where this card could use 4GB.

HD 6770. Find one used. Would suit your purposes. Or a HD 7750 if you can pick one up cheap. HD 7750 requires no power connector. HD 7770 and HD 6770 require a single 6 pin. (standard).

Nvidia is doing something odd with their 630/640 series cards.. Giving them 2gb (in this case 4GB) VRAM when their actual speeds are FAR too slow to even utilize this.. At least not for gaming purposes. The 630 is a slow slow card; and not worth the money. What's the purpose of the shuttle? Light gaming?

HD 7770 and HD 6770 will run on any 300w shuttle PSU perfectly fine providing it has at least a single 6pin PCIE connector.

Slow cards have nothing to do with how much memory they can use. Textures are textures.

Well yeah; but aren't you going to be limited anyway (for gaming specifically)? Because you can't crank the settings high enough to get such high end textures to even use anywhere near that much VRAM? Or is there a specific use for such cards?

Now THAT is a good point. Perhaps due to lower resolutions you wont use as much texture memory.

That makes no sense.. not sure why they would pack 4GB on that card!

well i need single slot because the pci 16x slot is stupidly on the out side edge of the motherboard and the PSU is much less than 300 watts.

because if it were on the inside slot i could use a 2 slot cooler and if there was a little more juice i would stick my 5770 that i recently replaced in there and not even bother

Well i remember how i made my choice the very first time i got a PC.

1. GPU series. That can be faked... i would never have guessed that any company is trying to fool me... because they are white knights on a saint horse and would never lie, thats the stuff been told to me, when i was immature.

2. Amount of RAM, the more the merrrier, thats kinda obvious when someone dont know if those RAM are actually of use.

Reality is, as long as it is good for buisness, everything is allowed, there is no limit to the possible actions as long as the law does not forbid it. The law mainwhile is created by buisness, so its kinda hard to go against.

Last edited:
I don't see the point in even having more than 1GB on that card.
there are a few games, bf3 and metro 2033 to namethe two, that use plenty more than 1gb at 1080p with highest settings and aa. At that res there is no way I would get a 1gb card. 2gb us the standard these days.

Edit: THAT card... yes, no doubt. Almost has ti be fabled wrong.

I don't get why that card is a 4GB card...?
Why do they add soo much VRAM for a card that won't utilize more than 25% of it..
I'm sure a 6670 GDDR5 would outperform that card..and that cards a 1GB card..

Thats not a gamer GPU, its mainly tuned for HTPC (and fanless so it can be very quiet). GT 630 is weaker than a 8800 GT and according to my infos a rebranded GT 540 (which means its the inferior Fermi architecture). Good luck tying to utilize more than 1 GB.

Last edited:
Thats not a gamer GPU, its mainly tuned for HTPC (and fanless so it can be very quiet). GT 630 is weaker than a 8800 GT and according to my infos a rebranded GT 540 (which means its the inferior Fermi architecture). Good luck tying to utilize more than 1 GB.

I understand that its more for a HTPC, but seriously, 4GB of VRAM, The only way I think that could even remotely be utilized is if its playing 4K res video...on like 2 monitors..

For OP, I would recommend this card over that card you linked. Its more powerful and its silent so its just as quiet :p Costs a tad bit more but you'll get that much more performance out of it.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102950

4k res video dont need so much RAM, even by opening 10 times a 1080P video it doesnt break the 1 GB buffer amount. If so there is still system RAM. Apart from that, its easyer to find a gold nugget than a 4k res video (which is true 4k and not some scaled up junk).

Last edited:
Back