• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Small water or someone spit.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sagkahan143

Registered
Well for the long waiting my computer build is finally complete.

We were assembling all the components on the computer store.

Im in a hurry because im getting my nephew from his school.

We were not yet finish and i left the shop owner to finish the last part which is installing the front panel connector to the motherboard.

After i get my nephew... I went back to the computer store and its finally complete but i noticed that their is a SMALL WATER OR MOUTH SPIT on the Sata 6 cable.

So i use my hand and rub the sata 6 cable until water is gone.

I look the motherboard and graphic card but cant find a water.

I waited about 20 minutes then we try to boot the desktop and its working fine.

My question is if their is a water contact could their be a 100% sign fried or blown up?.

Could a very small water like droplet safe to run a motherboad or computer that has power?

I also noticed that new version corsair GS 600 fan only runs on boot then shuts off.

A small drop could fry a powered motherboard if it was in the "right" place, yes. If the system works, then it is likely fine.

Tnx. So your saying that their is no 100% water contact to the hardware?....

I run the computer for about 30 minutes straight only in bios mode no negative sign.

Im the one who install the Sata 6 cable from motherboard to hard disk.

I cant really forget seeing a water on the sata 6 cable this is my dream computer and i hope that it is safe.

Since I don't have the hardware in my hands, I can't claim it will function in the future, no. But, going based on what you've said, I would say it will work fine.

:cry:

Hopefully this is my last question.

A Hypothetical question

What if their is a water contact to the motherboard or videocard but cleaned it and let it dry... Will the lifespan of the components decrease?

The story is on my first post.

I was building all new components in the computer store but i went to my nephew school.

The only left parts was the system front panel connector i left the owner finish it.

Coming back to the shop owner went out but the two assistant is the one who is finish the job.

I check my computer and suddenly i saw a droplet water located at sata 6 cables hopefully one only.

The system has never been turn on yet.

Mobo is Asus P8H77M LE - PCB -dark brown.
Videocard is MSI R7850 OC - PCB -dark brown.

I double check the mobo and VC and cant find any water.

But the frustration is that its dark PCB very hard to check water.

I turn the system and its running fine.

I even turn 30 minutes straight in bios mode only no sign of negative.

So i will repeat the question...

What if their is a water contact to the motherboard or videocard but cleaned it and let it dry... Will the lifespan of the components decrease?

It all depends on whether there was something on the the components, where it was located, what components it landed on, if there was power, etc. There are way too many variables for us to tell you if it is working. However, it isn't going to shorten the lifespan; it is either going to not turn on, kill it outright, or work.

You are panicking about this when you don't need to be.

If it was cut on (even to run the BIOS), with water connecting terminals that were pertinent to the system, it would have shut right off because of a short.

I'll use Thideras' quote "Since I don't have the hardware in my hands, I can't claim it will function in the future, no. But, going based on what you've said, I would say it will work fine."

Edit: Thid, nice timing there :p With the same result too.

I've dropped sweet droplets before onto the mobo, it can happen.. I usually get a Q-tip to soak up the water, wait a bit then power things up. It all depends really where the water droplet lands if it will cause damage or not. If you have been running the computer for 30min with no issues, IMO i think you will be fine.

I'm sure it's fine but you don't ever want water on anything electronic since even after it dries there will be minerals left behind from the water.

Back