• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Calibration Software?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Darkwizzie

Registered
What is the most widely known and best calibration software for my incoming Yamakasi Catleap? If you list an option that isn't free, can you list an alternative that is?

Thanks.

In order to calibrate a monitor, you usually need a colorimeter to measure the monitors real output vs what it's SUPPOSED to be showing.

I looked around for one a while ago but none of my regular suppliers had any. Most options were in the 100-200$ range.

Also, most of the info I could find were rather old (for exemple the LaCie Blue Eye 2 review was from 2008).

The models I found were :
X-rite i1
ColorEyes Display Pro
LaCie Blue Eye 2
Spyder3Elite/Spyder4Pro
SpectraView II

Let's see if others here have more info because I'm interested in the answer too.

Thanks for the reply. For a Catleap, will having a colorimeter make a difference for a gamer? Or is that sort of stuff only good for professional graphic artists?

Thanks for the reply. For a Catleap, will having a colorimeter make a difference for a gamer? Or is that sort of stuff only good for professional graphic artists?

I guess that's a matter of personal taste. Calibrating the monitor's colors would help get a more realistic picture IF the source is good. But when you consider that PC games are often Xbox 360 ports, you often get oversaturated colors, etc. that no amount of calibration can really fix.

I've always wanted to calibrate my dell 3007wfp and my 2 U3011 but couldn't get a colorimeter to do so but playing on those monitors was fine.

It's really important when you depend on near perfect color reproduction (like your example of a professional graphic artist) but for most people it won't matter much. Uncalibrated colors on an IPS panel usually is MUCH better than your typical TN panel anyway.

Back