• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wireless router help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

john12

Ok so I have a windows 7 computer I am able to connect to any wireless router except my friends his iPad and my iPod touch will connect but in order to have internet connected to my PC I need to have an Ethernet cord connected. The wireless router is a Cisco N. my windows 7 laptop is about eight months old. The reason I have posted this is because for a while it used to connect but not anymore.

Last edited:
Is your computer a laptop? How old? What security is set on your friend's router [wpa/wpa2/wep]? Older wireless devices won't connect to newer wireless security protocol like WPA2.

agreed that more info is needed.. but if your friend is willing and your sure your device is new enough id make sure latest drivers, and firmware for router are installed. Reset router and see if you can connect no encryption set. Then proceed to setup encryption and test.

EDIT:

id make a back-up of configuration just to have one. If you cant connect with no security you can use the back-up

Last edited:
Is your computer a laptop? How old? What security is set on your friend's router [wpa/wpa2/wep]? Older wireless devices won't connect to newer wireless security protocol like WPA2.
Yes it is a laptop it is only about 8 months old I got it for Christmas. I am pretty sure it is wep

WEP keys are NOT case sensitive, but if it turns out to be WPA or WPA2 then you need to enter them exactly as those ARE case sensitive. No other ideas off the top of my head. The first step would be to try another security protocol on his router, even reset as previously suggested. if it's WEP I'm willing to bet the key is just being entered incorrectly, that's the common mistake since the keys are so long/convoluted.

Back