• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Arctic Accelero Xtreme III Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

splat

ASCII Moderator
Arctic is one of the most well-known manufacturers of heatsinks for both graphics cards and processors (as well as a popular producer of thermal pastes and case fans). Today we will be taking a look at Arctic's newest GPU cooler - the Accelero Xtreme III. Supporting a large list of models from nVidia (GTX680 to the 7000-series), and AMD (HD7870 to the HD3000-series). In this review the cooler will be installed and tested with an Asus GTX 580 Matrix.
... Return to article to continue reading.

Last edited by a moderator:
My 4th article. I hope that you enjoy it. Let me know if you have any questions about the product or the methodology used!

:comp:

long story short? yeah, that's the gist of it :)

Although I wish it was compatible with my GTX 285 so I could put something onto it or my 7970.

He has a MSI 7970 Lightening, which is a non-reference PCB. At least I think that's why it's not related.

Oh, what a pity. Does Arctic have plans or has released something for the 79xx series?

They actually already have a cooler for the 7970, it is its own specific version of the Accelero Xtreme 7970

As as well as a 'hybrid' cooler than appears to be similar to the Corsair H-series (hoping to see I can get one of those to review and try out)

Hybrid:
http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/cooling/vga/589/accelero-hybrid-7970.html?c=2182
Standard Accelero for 7970 -- which has support for the 7870 and 7850 as well. Just confusing, unless it needs different mounting holes.
http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/cooling/vga/502/accelero-xtreme-7970.html?c=2182

Maybe it's the 7970 chip design? The lack of IHS, and the die being lower than the metal thingy, that's the only difference I can find between the A7970 and the AX3.

It would also explain the fact that the 7870 fits, since in 78xx, the metal plate is more "standard".

You could put a piece of copper there and "mod it".

True, but that wouldn't explain why the 7870 then fits on the new '7970 edition', you'd think it would only fit on the 7950/70.

It says it is incompatible with stacked power connectors, but does it look like it can be modded to fit by trimming aluminium fins? or will it still run into one of the heatpipes? (I have the reference gtx 680 in mind with this question)

Janus67, I just find a little thing your review is lacking. Some photos of the installation procedure. It's one of the things I'm most curious about. Just thought that might help! :thup:

Everything else is great as I told you before.

Thanks for the insight. I'll try to include install pictures in my next review. :thup:

It says it is incompatible with stacked power connectors, but does it look like it can be modded to fit by trimming aluminium fins? or will it still run into one of the heatpipes? (I have the reference gtx 680 in mind with this question)

It's hard to tell, I'm looking at it right now. If it did fit it would be incredibly close as the heatpipe is approximately 1/4'' from the edge of the fins if that gives you an idea.

It's hard to tell, I'm looking at it right now. If it did fit it would be incredibly close as the heatpipe is approximately 1/4'' from the edge of the fins if that gives you an idea.

Thanks :thup: . Don't want to take a chance so it looks like reference cooler it is for now. :(

I guess they couldn't do it because of the fan. If it was just because of the fins... well, IMHO, it's a design fail. They fixed the dual DVI problem they had back then with the 5xxx series, why did they not fix this one with the dual 6p, that seems to be standard because it seems NVIDIA proved it has better performance that way.

I've had this piece bookmarked in my "Stuff to Buy" folder for a while. I've seen several good reviews on it all over the place. Would love to get my hands on one. Some new case fans would be nice too.

Back