• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HDMI vs DVI (also LED?)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

buffheman

I'm working on a new build, and would like to upgrade my monitor to 24" 1920x1200. For standard gaming/media purposes, would there be a noticeable difference between HDMI and DVI? I was expecting most monitors to offer HDMI input, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Also, I'm curious as to the impacts of LED backlights. Mostly a power consumption thing, or does it impact picture quality?

That being said, ASUS seems to be a popular choice on these forums.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236153

This one is both HDMI and LED backlit... good choice, or suspiciously cheap compared to the $300+ monitors?

I have two 23" LG LED 1080p monitors. One has HDMI, one has DVI. They look the same.

As for LED, do it. Its such a step up from LCD, and I can only imagine that IPS is even better than my TN panels.

IPS and TN? Please define.

I'm also throwing this Samsung into the mix, as it appears to be a very similar monitor to the Asus, except $25 cheaper. Only HDMI on the samsung, and a slightly smaller screen size.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...001550&cm_sp=DailyDeal-_-24-001-550-_-Product

And also this other ASUS VE284. I'm not entirely sure how it differs from the VS284 posted above... except that it's $40 cheaper.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236102

I am confused by the wide range of pricing for what appears to be the same thing. I guess that's the case with TVs too...

they are pretty much the same signal just one has sound if its any consolation i cant even tell the difference between vga and dvi on my 25" 1080x1920 its virtually identical just one is analog and one is digital

they are pretty much the same signal just one has sound if its any consolation i cant even tell the difference between vga and dvi on my 25" 1080x1920 its virtually identical just one is analog and one is digital

I will argue that point. VGA and DVI are very different, mainly because of the analog/digital point. BUT! VGA has a resolution limitation of 640x480 with 16 colors.

But yes, DVI and HDMI are the same except for the fact that HDMI carries sound too. Chances are, your monitor won't even have speakers.

Not true...I've run 1080P off VGA, it's just a tad blurry.

HDMI = DVI + Sound

Specifications tell very little about a monitor. The best way to tell junk from quality is to see it in person.

Or figure out what panel is being used, but that isn't all that easy. There's only something like 4 companies that make the majority of consumer LCD panels. Samsung and LG are two of them.

Not true...I've run 1080P off VGA, it's just a tad blurry.

That's why its not "supported".

Or figure out what panel is being used, but that isn't all that easy. There's only something like 4 companies that make the majority of consumer LCD panels. Samsung and LG are two of them.

This is why I chose LG for mine.

Just found this:

Today, the VGA analog interface is used for widescreen resolutions including 1920×1080. However, there can be picture quality degradation when compared to using a DVI or HDMI connection, especially on larger sized LCD/LED monitors or TVs. How discernible this quality difference is depends on the individual's eyesight. Blu-ray playback at 1080p is possible via the VGA analog interface, if Image Constraint Token (ICT) is not enabled on the Blu-ray disc.

From here

Basically saying you can do it now, but you couldn't before for some reason. And also that its not a good picture.

Back