• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Serial Rain-0 Constantly Running.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tsranch

Registered
I'm not talking flashing/blinking or such, but constantly on, the HDD light is solid on. But if I "Sleep" and push the space bar to "Awake" then the light stays off unless I'm actually access the HDD like normal. In other words after sleep there's normal disc activity and the light reflects that but on a restart or regular boot-up it'll just stay on and I'm not doing a thing. Any thoughts on this?

Some of the many things that have or can cause HDD light activity. Certainly not all it seems but some that have been noted to cause HDD light activity with Win 7.

Windows Search
Superfetch
Windows Defender
Defragmenter
wmiprvse.exe disk performance monitor
HDD free space monitoring
Page File HAPKAH
Malware

You might use Process Monitor v3.03 to determine what is causing apparent drive access all the time.

Link to PM V3.03 >> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx

Are you sure the 2-pin HDD activity LED connector is connected to the correct IDE_LED system panel connector?

Yeah I'm sure the light is hooked up correctly, I've done many builds and like I said, after sleep it's fine. I'll try that monitoring, tks RGone.

Using sleep but having hibernate still available can cause constant HDD light activity. The list of things that can do the deed in Win 7 is just mind-boggling it seems.

did the Dos window thing for hibernate deleting the file and turning it off both. bringing up task manager shows only AVAST and Core Temp as constant active and some svc services intermittanly. I'll keep digging around Windows, it's the sleep mode that's got me scratching my head.

Back