• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 560 ti too good to be true OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kikk

Registered
I'm using MSI afterburner to overclock my GTX 560 ti. I upped the voltage to 1.1v and got a stable 990mhz core and 2370mhz memory overclock. Especially the memory OC sounds too good to be true. Is this normal?

I've OCed my CPU to 4.5ghz, maybe it has something to do with the GPU overclocking so well? Maybe changed a BIOS setting to allow it? My CPU OC thread.

System specs
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX560 Ti AMP 1 GB
CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K 3,3 GHz LGA1155
Aftermarket Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212+
Power Supply: Corsair TX850W V2 Enthusiast
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4 GB 1600MHz DDR3
Hard drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 750 GB SATA 6 Gb/s
Motherboard: P8Z68-V
Case: Cooler Master 690 II Advanced

Operating system: Windows 7 64 bit
Bios version: 3402 (Newest)

Turns out it was too good to be true. Just got a pop up warning informing that my MB temperature is 123c! HWmonitor is showing SYSTIN, CPUTIN, AUXTIN maxing at 123c, while TMPIN3 maxed at 172! Yet my GPU temps only maxed at 87c.

Should I be worried?

Your CPU o/c has nothing to do with your GPU overclock.

Considering your card comes in at 950Mhz core to start, thats nothing at all. Memory is stock 2200Mhz so that is in the ballpark. Nothing great on any aspect, and the core is low if anything.

Your mobo temp also has nothing to do with you GPU clock...and that reading is likely wrong. Anything HOT to the touch on the motherboard? No? THen that temp is wrong.

Your CPU o/c has nothing to do with your GPU overclock.

Considering your card comes in at 950Mhz core to start, thats nothing at all. Memory is stock 2200Mhz so that is in the ballpark. Nothing great on any aspect, and the core is low if anything.

Your mobo temp also has nothing to do with you GPU clock...and that reading is likely wrong. Anything HOT to the touch on the motherboard? No? THen that temp is wrong.

Thanks for the response. Nothing feels too hot on touch now. I should touch it while its doing a stress test though.

My card is not factory overclocked. Core stock is 830mhz and stock memory is 2004mhz according to afterburner.

Thanks for the response. Nothing feels too hot on touch now. I should touch it while its doing a stress test though.

My card is not factory overclocked. Core stock is 830mhz and stock memory is 2004mhz according to afterburner.
Regardless, its about right. This isnt your card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500196&Tpk=560ti AMP

Nothing amazing about the 560 OC,.
I have a GTX 460 running 980Mhz @ 1.025v
Apples and Oranges BJohn. ;)

Could someone explain the following: At my first session to try to overclock memory I reached 2320 memory clock without problems. From that I jumped to try 2400, had an error and worked my way backwards to 2320 in increments of 10. I got an error in every reading from 2390 to 2340, where it froze and I had to restart. After the restart I tried again and reached 2380 before any errors, artifacting or freezing.

The question is: How come I can now reach a stable 2370, when previously it froze at 2340?

I used a 10 min furmark benchmark to test each increment.

P.S. Earthdog, this one is mine. Sorry, the language is in Finnish. You get figures though.

OC depends on temperature. What was your ambient@2320?2370?

Furmark is not a good stability tester for GPUs actually.

Run 3DmarkVantage/3dMark11 in loops for 20 mins to test your GPU OC.

Half an hour of Dirt2/3, BF3 is a good test as well.

The ambient temperature was the same 24c for both. I did both "runs" today.

The card you put in the first post...

You are right! Got to change it in my specs. Although its sort of irrelevant in this thread, since the AMP! cards also seem to come without factory overclocking.

Btw, in regards to overclocking, does it matter what the stock clock speeds are in the card? I mean for example, GTX560 ti comes in various clock speeds depending on the model an manufacturer. Do higher stock speeds also mean higher overclockability?

Thanks!

You are right! Got to change it in my specs. Although its sort of irrelevant in this thread, since the AMP! cards also seem to come without factory overclocking.

Btw, in regards to overclocking, does it matter what the stock clock speeds are in the card? I mean for example, GTX560 ti comes in various clock speeds depending on the model an manufacturer. Do higher stock speeds also mean higher overclockability?

Thanks!

AMP cards from Zotac are their factory OCed models. The 560Ti AMP! Edition comes with 905Mhz core from the factory. AFAIK, Zotac offers some of the highest factory overclocks, but also get the fame of having the loudest and hottest cards... or so I've read.

Exactly... they are overclocked. 950 core i believe..

As far as overclocking higher with a higher stock clocks, Nope.

Exactly... they are overclocked. 950 core i believe..

As far as overclocking higher with a higher stock clocks, Nope.

Good to know. Its a good deal then to buy as low a factory clock as possible since they are cheaper.

Depends really, but yes. The fact is that you can purchase a reference clocked card and overclock it to factory overclocked speeds in a matter of seconds.

From what I understand is usually the OC'd models have binned chips.
With a reference model it can be more hit/miss as to how high it will go stably.

Horsehooey... 99% of factory clocked cards will reach factory overclocked speeds. They are not binned.. at least its not remotely worth the price premium to buy one to expect or even hope for higher clocks than reference.

the 560ti is a beast OCer card imo, my zotac could double its shipped speeds and then some. At a hardware lvl though the card is crippled so all those high clocks arnt going to help you after a certain point.

With stock cooling over a 1000core. With a H70 zipstrapped to it was much higher. Heat is not an issue as the card would reach a point where it just did not increase.

Last edited:
Back