• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7970 Crossfire Problem.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nanoz619

I had a xfx 7970 black edition for about 4 months and when a friend offered to sell me his Sapphire 7970 OC I was only too excited. I got both cards installed and went to run some benchmarks and saw great success.

My results were:

FPS 49.7
Scores: 1251
Min FPS: 22.6
Max FPS: 123.4

Than I installed the 2nd card:

FPS 88.4
Scores: 2228
Min FPS: 25.5
Max FPS: 219.8

So I was more than excited! Sadly, when I goto run bf3 I get the same 60 fps I was getting with just the xfx card. My specs are...

1000w gold certified Lepa PSU
2500k running at 4.5ghz
8gbs corsair vengence ram.
and the two gpus.

I just did a fresh install of windows, re-installed cataylst and still same results.

I just dropped 200.00 on the psu, hoping that would fix the problem yet still getting the same results

Nanoz619

Turn Vertical Sync off in the BF3 settings.

vSync limits your FPS to 60, turn it off and your away but might get some horizontal tearing in the graphics.... :)

Last edited:
I'll try that when i get home from work! Would be a really upsetting thing to find out thats why its been acting this way lol :p 2nd question is its not showing me temps or fan speed in catalyst on the sapphire card?

I prefer to use Afterburner for in game temps, gpu usage, vram usage and fps. I also bet Vsync is why you're stuck @ 60 fps...

Yeah I know how to check the temps, however; its not showing me the 2nd gpus temps. Not sure why though? I can see the xfx temps but not the sapphire. Is this what they meant by it shuts its self down when not in use?

Thanks!

Nanoz

Yeah I know how to check the temps, however; its not showing me the 2nd gpus temps. Not sure why though? I can see the xfx temps but not the sapphire. Is this what they meant by it shuts its self down when not in use?

Thanks!

Nanoz

Is the XFX the primary card? IE the one planted in PCIe 16x #1 ?

I have the xfx card on top and the sapphire below it. Thus far I'm getting great fps in games, just not showing any information for the sapphire card. It is recognizing it though, because it'll allow me to overclock or manually set the fan speed which kicks in as soon as I launch a game, but even in a game I get no temps :p using afterburner or minimizing and going into catalyst.

Back