• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Confused, please help.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

splicer

Hi, I recently built my own system and having some issues with the RAM. I ordered Corsair DDR3-1600 (8gigs) one of the sticks was DOA I noticed after having trouble installing windows than some BSODS. So I went and bought another 8gigs, same exact model, speed, etc while Iwait on my RMA (I'll just have 16gigs when it comes back, so i'm cool with that).

The problem is, I tried to install the two new sticks into the 2 slots closest to the CPU today when I bought the new RAM(Someone told me I shoulda installed there originally) The Old sticks are gone, in the mail on the way back to newegg. The computer wouldn't boot at all. Removed both sticks, reseated them multiple times, still wouldn't boot. Moved them back into the other slots and computer booted fine. I went into BIOS and didn't really see anything for slot control, but I noticed the MOBO (ASUS P8Z77-V) had the ram set to 1033 speed, when the sticks are 1600. So I raised the speed to 1600, saved and went to reboot. Computer wouldn't boot again until I removed both sticks and replaced only 1. Reset back to default (cause BIOS said bad overclock when it finally did reboot) and installed the second DIMM. Computer runs fine, mem86 running for 4 hours had no errors....

So, could there be something wrong with the other two DIMM slots (nearest CPU), or is there a setting somewhere I'm not seeing since I originally installed all ram in these second slots? The voltage on the default 1033 clock was 1.55, should I increase voltage than set to DDR3-1600? I'm confused...any help would be appreciated. .... I'm new here =D

System Specs:

Mother board: ASUS P8Z77-V LGA 1155
CPU : Intel i5-3570k Ivy bridge 3.4 (3.8 turbo)
GPU : EVGA GeForce GTX670 2GB
PSU : OCZ ModXStream pro 700W Modular High performance
RAM : 8gig CORSAIR Vengeance 240pin SDRAM DDR3-1600 (PC3 12800)
Case : Rosewell RANGER Gaming ATX Mid Tower
SSD : Corsair Force series 3 120GB
HDD : WD 1TB 7200RPM Sata3

Last edited:
So the machine will boot with one stick in either of the two slots closest to the CPU? Did you try that with both slots 1 & 2?

Yah, i tried a single stick in both slots closest to cpu, or filling both slots.

My guess would be that is a bios bug. Is there a newer version of bios available for that board?

Back