• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7970 King of the hill again?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So there comparing a overclocked 7970 3GB to a stock 680 2GB ? they should have compared it to a 670/680 4GB OC card too..

Last edited:
if you look at the specs the GHZ edition is just a overclocked stock 7970 just instead of calling it OC they call it GHZ.
"AMD acknowledges that the Tahiti GPU itself is exactly the same"

GHz edition is exactly the same card just with improved chip quality ( in theory ) so they are able to work on lower voltage or on higher clock keeping the same stock voltage.
It's like ASIC scale so you may already find the same "quality" gpus in older cards.
What more there are already chips like that in most oc versions of 7970 for long time.

So there comparing a overclocked 7970 3GB to a stock 680 2GB ? they should have compared it to a 670/680 4GB OC card too..

At the resolutions that they tested the extra memory likely has almost no change in performance.

At the resolutions that they tested the extra memory likely has almost no change in performance.
yea true=) i mostly meant they should have compared it to other stock overclocked cards instead of just reference cards as i would hardly call the GHZ a reference card.

if you look at the specs the GHZ edition is just a overclocked stock 7970 just instead of calling it OC they call it GHZ.
"AMD acknowledges that the Tahiti GPU itself is exactly the same"

Stock and OC is determined by AMD / nVidia, they set a clock that is (in there opinion) the best balance. within reason there is no such thing as a clock that is stock and a clock that is overclocked, only a clock that it comes out of the factory with and (then) partners decide (this card is good with another 100Mhz) and set that with there own BIOS and call it the (overclocked edition) my own card is a casing point.
Its exactly the same GPU as the 7850, which AMD simply laser off 5 or 10% of the shaders and then set to 860Mhz or whatever it is and then call it a 7850, mine left the factory with all its shaders intact and set at 1000Mhz, which AMD called the 7870, Gigabyte then thought (we will put 1100Mhz on this one and call it the 7870 OC Edition)
Then i or you overclock it some more....
Overclocking is not a technical description to something running faster than it was designed to, it is simply terminology used by us and partners to set something to run faster than its designers / makers intended it to.

The 7970 was always set to far under what it was capable of anyway, IMHO. AMD have simply put that right.

Last edited:
AMD gpu's lose big time when it comes to Folding, so NO, AMD is not King of the Hill. :D
Not everyone buys a gpu for gaming. :p

AMD gpu's lose big time when it comes to Folding, so NO, AMD is not King of the Hill. :D
Not everyone buys a gpu for gaming. :p

Folding?

The nVidia looses big time in compute operations, so NO, nVidia is not Kind of the Hill. :D
Not everyone buys a GPU for gaming. :p

Could not resist, right back at'yer..... :D

Last edited:
Folding?

The nVidia looses big time in compute operations, so NO, nVidia is not Kind of the Hill. :D
Not everyone buys a GPU for gaming. :p

Could not resist, right back at'yer..... :D
Heh Heh, You gotta love all the love in this room! :attn:

BTW, I never said that NVIDIA is the King of the Hill for Folding.... BUT! for GPU's it is! :D

EDIT: even this lowly little card will out-Fold the highest end AMD gpu.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125412

Last edited:
The same could be said for bitcoin mining. 6 of one, half dozen of the other.

That is right.
It depends on the intended use of the GPU.
So this topic is titled properly with the question mark at the end.

But as I pointed out, AMD is NOT King of the Hill. :p

I wouldn't even have anything but an "on board" interface if it wasn't for Folding.

Gamers waste physical time at the comp... :chair:

F@H = Nvidia. Period.
Mining = AMD. Period.

This is, to me, an overclocked card. The REFERENCE clock of the 7970 is what 925Mhz Core? Ghz edition = overclocked. So yeah, like it was in the past, overclock it and she wins, better drivers + o/c = win. That review was also pre 304.79 as well. Just the usual game... But be fair when thinking about it, you cant overclock one while looking at another stock as you can always overclock the other too!

This release was really odd to me in that there were faster overclocked cards out already with better cooling so.........why bother on the reference cooled front is my question.

I see this as a marketing point. Imagine someone does not know anything about overclocking. "Gigahertz Edition, damn that has to be fast, I am buying ATI!!"

So turn off the boost on the 680 then, you cant compare an overclocked 680 to a stock 7970(/sarcasm). Its clear why they did this at a reference level, so that, with a stock not overclocked reference design, it would be able to at least match a 680. Thats it. So that out of the box it would perform on par with a 680. It was never meant for the likes of us, who already knew that the 7900 series cards overclock like monsters.

Back