• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help needed (OC & Cooler)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bacmaga

Hello :D
I need help for oc-ing and to make a choice what cooler should I buy..

Spec.:
Motherboard: MS-7260 K9N Neo, Ver.: 1.0 (chipset: nforce 570SLI)
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ 2.7GHz (Code name: Brisbane) AM2 Socket
GPU: Nvidia GeForce Gainward GT440 1024MB GDDR5
RAM: DDR2 Kingmax Semiconductor PC2-5300, 2x1GB (667MHz)
PS: Switching Power Supply SL-500A (500W)
HDD: Hitachi 320GB SATA

And about coolers, what I can afford are: Cooler SCYTHE Shuriken SCSK-1100, SCYTHE Katana 3 SCKTN-3000A or SCYTHE Katana 4 SCKTN-400. :confused:
And if I can clock it what would be max clock for these coolers?
If you guys need some information I would be happy to give you. :)

The PSU would need to be replaced from a reliability standpoint, OC or not.
AFAIK K9N Neo is a 550 chipset, that is what is listed on MSI's website.

Why only scythe coolers? Anyway, the Katana 4 will do the job.

Max clocks for Brisbanes are around 3 GHz - 3.4 GHz max, I wouldn't expect more than 3.2. They aren't great overclockers. Stability is key with these too. I usually test K8s with OCCT Medium. 1 hour stable isn't enough for these, 4 hours minimum and 8 hours better. Often times they can BSOD doing normal things while having passed a stability test for 1-2 hours.

Can you look at the side of your DDR2 and read off what the black IC chips read on the side?

So, I would not get some kind of clock for a brisbane so I don't think it's kinda boost for performance right? hm.. I'll see the ram in a sec..

Yeah, the performance boost from overclocking your brisbane wouldn't be very significant.

What kind of things do you do with your computer?

here is what's on IC chip:
KKA8FFBXF
-GFX- 30A
SFY366-A93G
I play games like fps, rpgs and racing games..

Yeah those are Kingmax's proprietary markings. I was hoping that the information would shed more light on what ICs were used.

With only a GT440, I can tell you that overclocking the CPU isn't going to help much at all in games.

So you propose that I should spare some money to get a real pc..
What would you do with a 320€?

Last edited:
I didn't see anything about your case, but if it's decent, you could go about buying parts and upgrading what you currently have to a "real" PC. I would start with the PSU, and then the case if it's not decent. Then I would go from GPU to CPU (even if it doesn't fit in your current board, not sure if an AM3 CPU fits in an AM2 socket, or that the board would recognize it), then get a decent CPU cooler. Then look for a good motherboard, and if your system is prebuilt/ has an OEM license for Windows, you'll probably want to get a new copy of Windows. After all that, you might as well get that new case if you didn't already, because at that point you can rebuild your old system and sell it!

If you are new to overclocking there is some value in trying it now from the learning standpoint so that when you do get better components you have an idea what to do.

kk tnx on help guys :) I'll see what can I do with guides, I was just curious that I can overclock it at all...

OC'ing Athlon 64 X2 isn't even close to the same as AM2+/AM3/AM3+ hardware but you can take a stab.

Performance gains however will be minimal (probably unnoticeable) for your games without shelling out $$$.

How much W PSU should I buy if I'm going to buy new quad cpu and motherboard?

550+, I suggest Corsair/Antec/Seasonic
If you want to try overclocking now like trents talked about, you can.

DRAM multipliers change depending on CPU multiplier/frequency...it's not the same as new CPUs.

OC'ing Athlon 64 X2 isn't even close to the same as AM2+/AM3/AM3+ hardware but you can take a stab.

But there may be enough similarity to make it worth the effort to practice now.

1. There's the advantage of having learned the the use of forum tools such as making a Sig and using the image attachment tool to facilitate communication with those helping you.
2. There's the advantage of having learned some the vocabulary of overclocking such as FSB/HT Reference, ram divider, NB/SB, ram timing, Cool N Quiet, etc.
3. There's the advantage of having learned the use of software helper tools such as CPU-z, HWMonitor and Prime95.
4. There's the advantage of having learned the effect of changing frequencies and voltages on temperature and stability and how to manage those things.

There would be differences for sure but in some ways overclocking is overclocking.

Will this do the job?
PSU: 600W, CORSAIR CX Series V2, CMPSU-600CXV2EU, ATX2 v2.3, 120mm
MB: ASROCK N68-GS3 UCC, GeForce 7025/nForce 630a, DDR3, VGA, S-ATA, RAID, mATX, s. AM3
CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 640 BOX, s. AM3, 3.0GHz, 2MB cache, Quad Core

Let me know :)

Last edited:
Go a different direction with the motherboard. Stay away from Nvidia chipset motherboards for the AMD platform as they give lots of problems as reported by users on this forum. Nvidia has all but dropped out on the AMD side. Go with an AMD chipset motherboard and upgrade to a board rated at least for 125 watt TDP, not 95 watt. Don't go cheap on the motherboard. You'll regret it.

+1 Mr. Trents, as you saw with me early on I started with an 8 core on bottum line boards and as you have helped me progress that has been my largest expence from failure, other than the things i decided to upgrade.

it has only taken a few thousand replys for you guys to teach me what little i know, so five should be enough for anybody else, hecks bells i have only been racing for thirty years and i still wait for that call from williams formula one!!!!!

Last edited:
Go a different direction with the motherboard. Stay away from Nvidia chipset motherboards for the AMD platform as they give lots of problems as reported by users on this forum. Nvidia has all but dropped out on the AMD side. Go with an AMD chipset motherboard and upgrade to a board rated at least for 125 watt TDP, not 95 watt. Don't go cheap on the motherboard. You'll regret it.
Nvidia doesn't make chipsets for AMD OR intel anymore.

I've never had problems with nvidia chipsets, usually it is the board that is the issue. I've even OC'ed Phenom II to 4 GHz on nForce 5. :attn:

To the OP, I would get a board with at least AMD 870 chipset though.

Back