• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Server 08 R2 memory issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

realmadrid12

Hey guys Im stumped here...

I have a server here that is a SQL 08 server that runs our backup utility that backs up about 500 laptops. I have set SQL to only use a max of 5 gigs of memory, the server has 12 gigs. At all times all of the memory is used. I thought it may have been an issue with dish write caching but all drives are disabled.

The weirdest part is that the memory that is being used does not show up in procexplorer or TM or RM. I will attach screen shots of these. Im really stumped at this point and anything would help (this is a production server!).

copiunissue.png

copiuniussue2.png

I'm much more involved in the networking side of the house than server administration at my job but it sounds like an app you are using is causing a memory leak perhaps? Any 3rd party apps you are running outside of the norm? I am assuming everything is patched properly. Are you using SQL server? I am definitely no DBA but have you verified your back end is optimized?

I'm much more involved in the networking side of the house than server administration at my job but it sounds like an app you are using is causing a memory leak perhaps? Any 3rd party apps you are running outside of the norm? I am assuming everything is patched properly. Are you using SQL server? I am definitely no DBA but have you verified your back end is optimized?

I believe it is a memory leak as well. SQL is running perfectly. The server is 100% up to date in every respect. I installed a "memory cleaner" And cleaned the cache file in ram and it shot down to only 5 gigs used. But over the course of a day it slowly increases again. Im beginning to believe it may be the backup software we use to backup the laptops since they are a fairly new company. :temper:

Thanks for your help!

I believe it is a memory leak as well. SQL is running perfectly. The server is 100% up to date in every respect. I installed a "memory cleaner" And cleaned the cache file in ram and it shot down to only 5 gigs used. But over the course of a day it slowly increases again. Im beginning to believe it may be the backup software we use to backup the laptops since they are a fairly new company. :temper:

Thanks for your help!

That is a likely possibility have you tried checking with the software manufacturer message boards/FAQ for any known issues like this? Maybe try looking for some free software online that can identify memory leaks, I'm sure there is something out there.

That is a likely possibility have you tried checking with the software manufacturer message boards/FAQ for any known issues like this? Maybe try looking for some free software online that can identify memory leaks, I'm sure there is something out there.

Im not going to mention the company in public but there website/documentation is useless. Software works pretty well besides this. Ill look for some software that can find memory leaks.

Thanks for your help!

Back